Syncing ipad with Aperture

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by TrulyYuki, Mar 30, 2011.

1. TrulyYuki macrumors 6502

TrulyYuki

I reinstalled my whole operating system on my macbook pro because I have all these nasty software issues. Well now I have to re-sync my ipad and iphone which I knew was going to happen. I never expected I'd get this error. I cannot for the life of me figure this one out. I've googled and found nothing. Anyone have any suggestions?

[​IMG]

2. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Have you done what the dialogue box says? Go into aperture and enable sharing with other applications, aperture->preferences->previews-> share previews with other applications ->always.

How can you google this and not find it? Well, you haven't really explained your issue fully. Did you actually put your aperture library back after the reinstall? Basically, your iPad is looking for your aperture library, and it can't find the previews that it uses to generate the images it syncs to the iPad.

How did you reinstall? Via time machine? Time machine does not back up the thumbnails files within an aperture library, so it's possible the thumbnails are missing and need to be regenerated.

There could be lots of reasons, but you have to explain first what it is you're doing.

3. TrulyYuki thread starter macrumors 6502

TrulyYuki

The reason for my reinstall was because imovie couldn't find my original video clips that were from my iphone that were imported to aperture. Everything is working fine now with that issue. My aperture library has all the photos and videos back in order and my imovie movies now can access the original clips. Here is what Aperture shows me in my preferences > previews box. I have re-synced my ipad multiple times now. AND it keeps giving me the same error message. I tried googling it, that's my go to source for any issues I can't find out myself. I'm a freakin' apple repair tech, you think i could figure this out.

[​IMG]

I have never had this issue with my iphones when I've had to re-sync them due to upgrading my macbook to macbook pro. Everything is in its place.

4. TrulyYuki thread starter macrumors 6502

TrulyYuki

ugh, think i figured out what i have to do. but last time i rebuilt my library it effed everything up with imovie and all my movies i made.

5. TrulyYuki thread starter macrumors 6502

TrulyYuki

ok, i got it. i had to create a temporary aperture library then re-select the old library and back in business. THAT WAS SO STUPID since all the software is NEW. this shouldn't have happened. oh well. no rebuilding necessary.

Thanks for your help though.

6. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Eh, I didn't do anything, I just wanted to know what your actual problem was. Yeah, switching to a dummy library and back can kick start aperture.

aperture is a little buggy still. I have an ongoing issue since aperture 3.1 with the XML file not updating, so I was wondering if you had the same issue, but wanted to find out what exactly the problem was.

7. aristobrat macrumors G5

FWIW, that solution also works if you're in iTunes and it won't let you select Aperture as a sync option. (i.e. it's grayed out, and nothing you do in iTunes makes it selectable)

8. TrulyYuki thread starter macrumors 6502

TrulyYuki

I was just frustrated and got to the point of ripping my hair out because it didn't want to have to do anything of the soft after my reinstall.