Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2013
UK
iTunes seems to want to blank my iPad, and the last backup it appears to have is from 2017

I think I gave up on ever syncing my old iPad to the laptop for the same reason, but now that I have all this extra storage, I’d like to do something with it.

Edit to add: This is as soon as you connect the iPad, it recognises it and comes up with the options including set up as a new iPad.

Anyone know how to get around this?

Thanks

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
If you have never connected or synced your iPad to this laptop via iTunes, it will ask you to set it up as new, or restore it. Choose "Set up as a new iPad" - don't select the restore option and you should be OK

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
iTunes seems to want to blank my iPad, and the last backup it appears to have is from 2017

I think I gave up on ever syncing my old iPad to the laptop for the same reason, but now that I have all this extra storage, I’d like to do something with it.

Edit to add: This is as soon as you connect the iPad, it recognises it and comes up with the options including set up as a new iPad.

Anyone know how to get around this?

Thanks
Set it up as new.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2013
UK
Finally got around to sorting some stuff I wanted to load onto my iPad and when I try to sync it, I get a message that it cannot be synced because an unknown error occurred. It gives the number 42018. Any ideas?

Thanks

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2013
UK
One iTunes update later and now it can’t read the contents of the iPad and wants to restore it to factory settings.

There’s no backup of the iPad on the laptop because the earlier error made it fail when I tried to save one.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Better in what way? I haven’t encountered an issue with syncing in iTunes for years. Can you even restore a device using this imazing app?
Look at their site I linked to. It answers your questions.
-----------------
  • Unique: the only iOS backup solution to offer 'Time Machine' like snapshots of your devices.

• Optimized: store dozens of backups without crowding your hard drive.

• Restorable: go back in time and restore any specific version of your backup.

• Browsable: your backed up data can be easily viewed.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Look at their site I linked to. It answers your questions.
-----------------
  • Unique: the only iOS backup solution to offer 'Time Machine' like snapshots of your devices.

• Optimized: store dozens of backups without crowding your hard drive.

• Restorable: go back in time and restore any specific version of your backup.

• Browsable: your backed up data can be easily viewed.

Thanks much for pointing me there, I didn’t read the page much previously and will do a deeper dive this time. Looks promising!

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Thanks much for pointing me there, I didn’t read the page much previously and will do a deeper dive this time. Looks promising!
You are welcome. I have been using them for years and have been very pleased. You can back up and have access to individual files in a backup, versus iTunes, along with a plethora of other features.

No subscription to worry about, and customer service has been prompt.

Davefevs

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2015
Bristol, UK
I use imazing too. I don’t have enough space on my MBP HDD to save iTunes backups to it, so save them to my WD MyCloud NAS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.