syncing iPhone 4 to new Mac... old pc died

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ella.Boo.Bella, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Ella.Boo.Bella macrumors newbie

Ella.Boo.Bella

I'm SO confused. I've been researching for weeks trying to figure out how to keep iTunes on my new computer (Macbook Pro) from deleting my photos, contacts, etc.

I did copy the iTunes folder from the old PC and replaced the folder in the Mac with that one, so what was in that folder before the pc crashed at least has that much. But I'd rather not lose everything else.

Contacts, photo albums, etc... those don't seem to be in the iTunes folder, so....

Any ideas? So much conflicting information out there about this, and eventually... I'm going to have to plug my phone in. I just don't want to lose everything on my camera roll, and would rather not lose the photos in the albums.

Can someone help? I'm fairly new to Mac (only a few months) and to iPhone.

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Ella

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The camera roll you won't have to worry about, they won't be deleted if you sync your phone to your new computer. It's just the photos you've synced from your old computer that you'll have to worry about - they will indeed be deleted. The only way to get around this, really, is by getting your photos onto your new computer and syncing them that way.

Your contacts will also be safe, but what I would do when you sync is select your iPhone in iTunes, go to the Info tab, and check the box saying to sync Address Book contacts. When you sync it will ask if you want to replace your contacts with what is in your address book or if you want to merge it - what you want to do is select MERGE. This will transfer your contacts to your computer and also keep them on the phone.