Syncing iphone 4 with purchased used iphone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Eurekagold, May 20, 2013.

1. Eurekagold macrumors newbie

Just purchased a used iphone 4S & would like to sync it with my iphone 4 - to transfer my apps, data etc. from the 4 to the 4S &, if possible, keep some of the apps that are on the newer phone. So far, I have not been able to do this with icloud or itunes. The previous owner's Apple ID is still on the 4S. Could someone help me with this problem? Many thanks!

2. Eurekagold thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your advice.

Perhaps I could suggest to the previous owner that he upload & store his apps etc. in icloud in the event that he purchases another Iphone (his intent)...that way he could download his apps etc (some quite expensive) to his new phone. Once he has done that, I could clear his data - to allow me to download mine stored icloud data from the 4 to the 4S.....is that reasonable/ do-able? Thanks.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

He would likely already have iTunes on his computer to which the apps are downloaded. He probably already had made an iCloud backup. I think it's safe to say he has a backup since he sold his phone. If not, he can just redownload the apps since they're obviously associated with his apple ID.

There is no way to have two apple IDs on the same phone. There is absolutely no reason that you should do anything other than wipe the phone; sign in with your Apple ID, download all your apps and get going.

4. Eurekagold thread starter macrumors newbie

URGENT: Stuck while erasing iphone 4S!

I have been attempting to wipe/erase the iphone 4S I recently purchased...for the past 20 hours....I went to Reset in Settings and clicked on "Erase All Content and Settings"....At that point the phone the screen went dark except for a white circular symbol revolving - indicating something should be happening....
    The instructions indicated that, depending on what needed to be erased, the process could take several hours. Even though the device had a Tom Tom application with all the maps of Europe etc (about 2GB) and there were several other apps on the device, it does not seem to me normal that the device would be still clearing into the next day - today!:mad::eek:
    Can anyone help - soon!?

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Sounds like the phone was jailbroken. You'll have to plug it in to your computer and do a DFU restore. Google or search this site for instructions.

6. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Sounds like all you had to do was log the existing Apple ID out and then login with your Apple ID.