Syncing iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by montymoo, Oct 25, 2012.

1. montymoo macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I have a problem that i'm struggling to find an answer to. I have an iPhone 5 64gb and want to sync my entire music library to it, 30gb.

My library is stored on an external drive, and when I try and sync, it will only sync the local songs that are stored on my macbook pro, and not the stuff from my external drive. I have changed the iTunes file path to the external drive and set this to manage the volume, however it still won't sync.

Any ideas??

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Copy them to your local hard drive and then sync them over.
    Then when you're done you can remove them from your internal drive again.

3. montymoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Wouldn't I then need to do that every time I added more music?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Unfortunately, I think so.

5. KojiH macrumors 6502

I don't think that you necessarily need to have all of your music files on the same HD volume.

If you go into the iTunes preferences there is a choice under the Advanced tab that says "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library". I'm thinking that if you keep this option un-checked then you will be able to add the tracks to your iTunes for syncing to the iPhone WITHOUT physically having to copy the files themselves onto your main HD.

As long as all of the files are on your iTunes library then they should be able to sync to your iPhone...