Syncing iPhone after restoring MacBook from a time capsule

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acarney, Mar 16, 2009.

1. acarney macrumors 6502

My MacBook hard drive died on me the other day, lucky for me everything including my iTunes movies and audio was stored on my time capsule so after tossing in a new hard drive and installing Leopard again I was fully updated and back to normal in about 3 hours flat. However, my iPhone says that it's synced with another Mac and I'll have to delete everything to sync it with this mac.

Is there anyway around this? I use the manually manage music feature so it's not like I just have a few playlists I can sync back; it would probably be a fairly large pain in the butt to sync everything back to a black iphone! :(

Also, I'm worried it'll erase my apps too if I HAVE to blank the iPhone to sync. Is there any way I can just manually add songs through iTunes again?!

2. acarney thread starter macrumors 6502

Wondering if this got lost after all the 3.0 talk or if there just isn't a way, thanks!

3. sd2009 macrumors 6502

Copy the entire iTunes library including the database file from your old mac (or from time machine backup) and it should be just fine.

4. acarney thread starter macrumors 6502

See I did a restore from Time Machine and my iTunes library always lived on the Time Capsule to begin with. The iTunes library file was always remote... I'm not sure how to copy the database file over from Time Machine (and I would have thought it did it on it's own when I did the restore), but where is it located? I'll see if I can manually restore it out of Time Machine.

Thanks!

Update: Booo! I see what I did, I told it not to back up "Music" because I was storing the music library on Time Capsule anyway so I could access it remotely and have more room for music and stuff... didn't know other important files were kept in there! Oh well, I'll manually add the songs back, I only had about 300 on my iPhone and 1 video and I do still have all the files... will all my apps be kept there and just the media files removed? Are picture files removed too?