Resolved Syncing iPhone Contacts Question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Diogones, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Diogones, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

Diogones macrumors regular

Diogones

I have a 16GB iPhone with all of my contacts saved on it. They were added directly from the iPhone, and were not previously synced from anything. I recently updated my Macbook from Leopard to Snow Leopard, and since my computer was feeling a little sluggish, I opted for a fresh install. Little did I know what an oversight that was!

The last time I synced the iPhone was through the Leopard iTunes. Of course, when I connect it now, it will not sync, because it recognizes the Snow Leopard iTunes as a new iTunes. Consequently, I've authorized the new iTunes for my purchased material, and I synced my purchases as well. Now I have two questions, and it concerns the same issue about syncing:

If I want to automatically sync the iPhone to iTunes, I must select the erase and sync option right? I also wish to manually manage my music and videos, so that would also require a complete wipe, correct?

If so, then I have a dilemma. While I've already transferred my purchases over, and created a backup of my iPhone, and backed up my music and videos to the iTunes library, how do I backup my Contacts so that I can re-sync them after the phone is erased? Since I did a fresh install, I don't have them in the Mac's Address Book (come to think of it, I didn't have them in there even when I was using Leopard), so I'm not sure how I would go about it. If I select the "Merge" option when syncing my contacts, it will wipe them out, since the Address Book is empty.

I know that I have a Yahoo! account, but there doesn't seem to be any way to directly sync my contacts directly from the phone to Yahoo!. I also can't import the contacts into Address Book, because the iPhone isn't a mounted drive, so I can't select it from the Import selection window.

I suppose that if worse came to worse, I could manually copy every contact I have from the phone into Address Book. It's just that I have 132 contacts, so it seems like a very tedious workaround.

I defer to the wisdom of the Mac Geniuses here, who may be able to solve this conundrum, because I am completely out of ideas!

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just make sure you have one contact in Address Book when you sync. Also, your contacts are saved in the backup you made. To be extra safe copy the backup somewhere, so you have it, if it somehow got overwritten.

You’ll be fine. Putting an iPhone on a new Mac is easy.

3. Diogones thread starter macrumors regular

Diogones

Thank you for your prompt reply, Aggie! However, I'm unsure of what you mean: I know that iTunes saves the backup of my iPhone in the MobileSync folder, but if I restore from my backup after I sync the iPhone, won't that prevent me from remaining synced to the new iTunes, because it would revert my sync status back to the prior library?

Just one contact in the Address Book? That's all I will need? Then Address Book, or iTunes, will copy over the rest? It all seems somewhat risky. So far, it doesn't seem too easy, simply because I haven't found how to directly copy the contacts FROM the iPhone TO the Mac!

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You’re not going to restore from the backup you made before syncing. You’re not going to need to restore at all. After you do all of what I said, you’ll make a new backup and if you ever have to restore, you’ll restore from that.

See my post here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=10641833&postcount=4

Other than that being a PC, and expod being used instead of sharepod (Phoneview allows you to get the pics off, if you had synced pics), since this is a Mac, you should be able use these instructions to help you.

5. Diogones thread starter macrumors regular

Diogones

Hey again aggie,

Well good news! I got the iPhone syncing Contacts with the Mac! Your other guide was instrumental in this breakthrough, and I want to give you a high-tech high-five for this breakthrough!

I do have one final question, and it concerns syncing music. If I enable the iPhone to manually manage music and videos, that will only allow me to pick and choose what I want on my iPhone, right? I cannot simply connect the iPhone to another computer with iTunes, and start dragging music from the library to the device, correct? If so, then it would be a shame, because the iPod Classic, if enabled for disc use, could do just that. Granted, it is a device that actually mounts as an external to the computer, unlike the iPhone, but it is still a huge advantage.