syncing iphone from old pc to new macbook pro

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by xiphi, Jan 21, 2011.

1. xiphi macrumors newbie

finally got a new macbook pro. i have my iphone 4 synced to an acer netbook.
    i would love to now sync the iphone to the mac and retire the netbook. i want to sync all my apps and photos from the iphone to the new macbook. when i try to sync the photos it says it will be replaced by the empty photos folder on the mac. how so i sync the iphone w/o wiping out the iphone 4?

thanks!

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

To transfer your apps, connect the iPhone to the MBP, open iTunes, connect your phone, select your device in the pane on the left, right click, select transfer purchases, that will transfer your apps from the iPhone to the MBP. The apps will not be in the order that you had them, so, select the apps tab at the top of the device page and place them how you want them, then sync your device.
    The photos are a little different. You will need to copy the photos from the netbook to some sort of storage device, then connect that storage device to your new MBP and "import" them into iPhoto. Once you get them into iPhoto, arrange them in folders however you want. Connect your device to iTunes, select your device, select the "photos" tab, select sync photos from iPhoto, select "selected albums", and then select the folders that you want to transfer. Sync your phone, and you should be good to go.
    Also, if you have photos on the camera roll of the iPhone, you will want to import those into iPhoto as well.

3. xiphi thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick reply!
    very cool, syncing the apps now.
    i think you miss read the photo sync part. i'm trying to get the photos off my iphone or sync the iphone photos to the new mbp. when i try to sync photos it's trying to sync it with an empty photo album on my mbp, thus wiping out my iphone photos. how can i dl the photos from the iphone to the mbp?
    thanks so much for your help.

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Are the photos in the camera roll or are they in folders?

5. xiphi thread starter macrumors newbie

camera roll, i never sync photos to my photo from my pc, i just want to download them off to the mac now that i'm migrating over and can clear some space off the iphone.

thanks

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

First of all, keeping a lot of photos in the camera roll on your phone has been known to cause problems. The best way to store photos on your phone is by using folders. If you import your photos into iphoto, you can either leave them on your computer or select the ones that you would like to have on your phone, from within iTunes. Sooo, my recommendation would be to import them into iPhoto on the MBP, and then delete them from the camera roll on the phone. If you want any of them back on the phone, make some folders in iphoto, and sync with itunes to put them back on the phone.

7. svenn macrumors 6502

Is it a lot better to import photos from camera roll, organize into folders, then resync if you want to keep photos on the phone? What type of issues will it cause? I have not heard that before, so I'm just curious.

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Yes!

The camera roll on the phone can become corrupted if it contains to many photos. I have seen it happen when the user finally decides that they have some photos that they want to save or backup, or they are trying to get their photos off of one phone and on to a new one and they try to download them.

9. svenn macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I should go that now since I have a lot of photos saved up. Lucky I haven't experienced any problems. Yet.
    *knocks on wood