Syncing iPhone on 2 Macs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hNicolas, Jul 13, 2009.

1. hNicolas macrumors 6502

hNicolas

Does anybody know if it is possible to sync an iPhone on 2 Macs with the possibility of keeping iTunes synced on the Macs as well. If possible, how can I do it? Thanks.

2. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

3. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

It is not easy at all.

Best bet would be trying to use a networked external drive that both computers can access to store your media library.

Why do you need to sync to both of them anyways?

4. hNicolas thread starter macrumors 6502

hNicolas

I sync with my iMac in my home office, but I would like to use a Mini in the family room (more convenient sometimes), I have thought of putting my iTunes library on my external disk which also has a partition for time machine (on airport extreme), but I'm afraid of losing everything in case of a failure, since I won't have a back-up of iTunes.

If I can find a way to mirror iTunes to the external disk, that would solve my problem.

5. Slim02 macrumors 6502

I not sure but if you have both iTunes sync up with the same files in the same places on both Macs and log-in to iTunes with the same user name.. I do not see there being a problem.. If I remember right.. I was using my iPhone on one iMac and then bought a new iMac. I just moved the all the iTunes files to my new iMac and my iPhone had no problem.. As long as both are the same on both macs I do not see why it would not work..

6. hNicolas thread starter macrumors 6502

hNicolas

The question is how to keep the two iTunes files synced. If I add or delete a song or download a new app the changes won't be seen on the second iTunes. How will it behave when I sync a previously updated iPhone.

And if a solution is found, I will also set up iPhoto the same way to update pictures and videos.

7. Slim02 macrumors 6502

You just copy the new stuff to the other Mac's iTunes and deleted the same song you delete on the other Mac.. Also any thing that is on the iPhone that new will add it to iTunes.. It like you download a app on the iPhone its self and then copies its self to iTunes when you sync up with iTunes..

8. yesthatisme macrumors newbie

I used to have it on my older iphone. Your phone has to be jailbroken and you have to download "itunes sync" or something like that. I tried looking for that in 3.0 but I'm not sure if it's available. It allows you to sync with multiple Itunes like as a different user. I had like two 300 song libraries on my iphone from two different computers. :D

9. hNicolas thread starter macrumors 6502

hNicolas

I'm going to try this first and see what happens, then I'll try using the external disk. If only mobile me would sync media...

10. Slim02 macrumors 6502

I wish too.. Because it would of been a lot easier.. I had to do it the hard way and moving all my files from one iMac to another iMac using a Firewire HDD.. But it work and was up running in no time.. I like to keep in on the Mac's HDD then running it off a external drive.. You could be able to use a external drive with iTunes but iPhoto will not run off a external drive like iTunes does.. If there is a way I like to know how because I have never be able to re-direct iPhoto to store(save) and retrieve from a external drive..

11. transam7816 macrumors regular

If you're jailbroken install Swaptunes from cydia. You will be able to sync to 2 iTunes libraries

12. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502a

gr8whtd0pe

Couldn't you network share the iMac's library and just tell the mini that is where its library is located? Like mount the network share and say that is its saved folder? In theory it would pull up the same as the iMac just like a networked drive, but it would still sync with TimeMachine since its on the iMac... right?

Just be sure to share the entire iTunes folder, not just the music so it gets the library info and playlists. Worse that will happen if this doesn't work is the phone will say its synced somewhere else and ask you to erase it.

13. hNicolas thread starter macrumors 6502

hNicolas

No, not jailbroken. Hmm good idea for an "official" application though.

14. hNicolas thread starter macrumors 6502

hNicolas

Yeah, I'm going to experiment and see if anything works. I'll post the results.