Syncing Iphone to a New Computer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GelleCC, Feb 28, 2009.

1. GelleCC macrumors regular

GelleCC

So I have a weird question. Most people want to sync their iphones/ipods to multiple computers. I do not. I will be going to college soon, so I will not be needing to use the computer at my house.

What I want to do is keep all my stuff that on my phone now and just sync it to my laptop (macbook). I don't want to have it synced to two computers. I just dont want to delete my data. Songs I could care less about because I have them on my laptop, so if they get deleted, I can just resync them. But the apps, I have a lot of ...... acquired.....apps. i don't want to lose them and have to ...re-acquire....them. it will take WAY too long.

The other thing. I need to update to 2.2.1 but I have an iphone 3g unlocked for tmobile. I already know how to unlock it, so this is not the question. I am simply telling you that I will have to re-sync all my stuff anyways. To unlock the 3g, if you don't know, you have to restore it. If I restore it, I can easily set it up with my laptop. BUT I can't restore it until I get all my apps on my laptop! otherwise I will lose them all! They are not on the other copmuter, because hypothetically, I may have acquired them through other means than payment (hypothetically, I'm only 17 with no job! I ask you to forgive me for this act of crime I may or may not have committed ... :p).

SO! I guess what I'm really asking is how do I get my apps that are on my 3g onto my laptop????

Thanks for the help!

2. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

you're allowed to 'authorize' up to 5 other computers and link them to the same account used on your current machine.

So anything available there, will be available when you go to college(after you authorize the new machine.

3. GelleCC thread starter macrumors regular

GelleCC

How does one go about authorizing a computer? Both iTunes accounts (the one from my computer and my laptop) are linked to my iTunes ID's if that'd what you mean by authorizing. But how do I get the apps off my phone and on my laptop (MacBook..if that makes a difference).

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

To authorize a computer, log into your itunes account, and click on "Store" in the menu, then select "authorize computer," and follow instructions.

Once you authorize the computer, apps that you download from the app store, you can transfer to the computer -- you'll be prompted when you sync whether you want to transfer your apps, or you can click on your iPhone icon in itunes and pick "transfer purchases" from the pop-up menu.

As for apps that you acquired through other means, we aren't allowed to help you with them in this forum. Surely if you figured out how to acquire them, you can figure out how to back them up!

5. GelleCC thread starter macrumors regular

GelleCC

So when I go to authorize my account, I sign in and click on store. I don't see anywhere that says authorize computer. Then I click on 'account' and then I see all my info. Then it says under my billing info 'one computer is authorized with this account'. Across from that, there should be a button right? There's one across from billing info and all that other stuff, but no where is a button that says authorize account!

6. GelleCC thread starter macrumors regular

GelleCC

I would like to apologize for my stupidity. I am sorry I wasted your time with that question. I was thinking to myself, 'maybe this is the computer that is authorized'. So I right click my iphone in the left menu and click transfer purchases. Low and behold! nothing happens. lol It said that it couldn't transfer because this was not the authorized computer. That made me feel less of an idiot. So when you said click on store, I actually went into the itunes store. Then I thought to myself, "maybe there is a 'store' button at the top with file, edit, view, etc'. Low and behold! ITS THERE! Thanks for the help! transfers are in the process right now, and this computer is now authorized!

Thanks you guys,
    You are all geniuses!

-GelleCC

7. GelleCC thread starter macrumors regular

GelleCC

So I lied a little bit

So I lied a little bit...Well, no I didn't. I transferred everything to my laptop and the laptop was authorized. So, when I decided to upgrade my phone to 2.2.1, I just hit sync all applications. Now, I wasn't paying attention and I didn't realize that they (apple) decided they only wanted to transfer some of my purchases. Then it says the sync was cancelled because the iphone cancelled the sync. I attached two screenshots so you guys can see what it says. I did all the troubleshooting apple suggested: uninstall itunes, reinstall itunes, deauthorize, reauthorize, etc and nothing has worked. They are on the laptop, I mean, when I click on 'applications' in the left menu bar, it shows me all the apps but only half of them sync to my computer!

Attached Files: