Syncing iPhone to a New MacBook

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ForumViewer, Apr 5, 2011.

1. ForumViewer macrumors member

I'm sure this has been asked before but I wasn't able to find a relevant thread, so pardon my newbness with regards to this topic.

I recently bought my wife a shiny new 15" MacBook Pro and I'd like to sync her iPhone to it, but of course iTunes wants to completely wipe the phone of music and everything. So, how do I go about this without losing all her data? Any pro tips? Thanks in advance for those patient enough to help! :D

2. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Well, this is what I did when I got my new MacBook Pro. I already had an iTunes library on my desktop PC which I used to sync my iPhone. Before I even opened iTunes for the first time on the MBP, I copied the entire iTunes folder from the Music folder in my User Profile folder in Windows 7 to my MBP. Then when I opened iTunes, it opened exactly like it was my desktop PC. Also my iPhone can't tell the difference between the two and I can sync with both.

I assume your wife has already opened iTunes so I'm not sure if that would work then.