Syncing iPhone to iTunes on NEW windows PC

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by to1986, Sep 14, 2010.

1. to1986 macrumors regular

I was wodnering whether there is a way to sync your iphone to a new windows PC, without erasing the data on the iphone? I have used homesharing to transfer everything (music,apps etc) from the old PC to the new one. However if i sync with the new PC will the contacts get erased from my iPhone?

2. Perihelion macrumors regular

How did you sync the contacts on your old windows PC? To your Windows contacts? Outlook?

If you synced to Windows Contacts, just copy these to the windows contacts on your new PC and your sync should be fine.

3. cypher23 macrumors member

cypher23

When you sync your iPhone to one computer then to another, the only thing that you should really be worried about is the content you have synced to the iPhone such as the music, movies, ringtones, podcasts, etc.

That being said, if you have home sharing enabled, you should be able to get that from one computer to the other. You should be able to sync your contacts & calendars from your iPhone to the new computer with no problem. Just be aware of the alerts that come up. When you enable contact/calendar syncing with the new computer, it should give you an alert that says "syncing with this iPhone will change more than x% of your contacts. do you want to merge or replace this data?" If this is a new computer, you may not have any contacts/calendars on this computer so make sure you choose merge and NOT replace. then your new computer should have all the contacts/calendars (if you're using Outlook) that your iPhone has.

4. to1986 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think the contacts have been transferred from the iphone to the PC. There is simply a backup on the old itunes. Would i need to transfer them onto the old PC first? Once i do that how do i transfer it from the old PC to the new PC. If you could advise me step by step i would appreciate it.

Sorry if i seem to know nothing, I am a mac user, but I am trying to help someone out who has a PC, and am not that familiar with the ins and outs of windows.

5. to1986 thread starter macrumors regular

So the contacts on calendar will not be erased, only the media content?

6. cypher23 macrumors member

cypher23

Correct. And that's only if you choose to sync the media content (ie. go into the various tabs and enable syncing music, movies, ringtones, etc.)

When you go to the info tab, you'll see a checkbox next to Sync Contacts with and a dropdown menu allowing you to choose your contact manager of choice, similar to Sync Address Book Contacts on your Mac. Same is true with calendars except Outlook is the only thing that iTunes will allow you to sync calendars to on a PC.