Syncing iPhone to multiple computers??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Obey Giant, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Obey Giant macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this anywhere. I have searched this forum and couldn't find anything...is there anyway to sync the iphone to more then 1 computer? Let me me know!!! Thanks!

2. snap58 macrumors 6502

snap58

re
    sort of. Contacts and calenders can if you use the sync checked only, it will give you the option to replace or merge them to your phone. I wish it had an option to replace the one on the computer with the phone, but no luck. I assume you will want to merge otherwise you will lose the ones already on your phone?

It will replace photos and music so be sure to uncheck those. I have a .mac account and normally just use it now to sync contacts and calenders.

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

You can sync calenders and contacts, but as far as music and photos not really. You can open iPhoto and download pics taken with the iPhone to multiple macs. I charge my iPhone at the nearest computer. and if I want to can sync to the different iTunes library, but that does erases the music/shows on the iPhone.

4. mspman macrumors regular

mspman

See, now what would be awesome (and I may try this today) would be to sync my music/photos with my Mac at home and sync my calendar with my Outlook calendar at work. That would rock like its 1999, because I want my music, but I also would like to know where I have to be at any given minute. :)

Mac at home, XP at work. Here's hopin.

5. lom8104 macrumors regular

I don't recomend syncing the iphone with a mac and a pc. Contacts loose their catagories and data is duplicated. The same issues arise with the calendar. I am happy enough with using a utility that syncs my outlook calendar with a google calendar which can then be subscribed to in iCal and synced on the mac to the iphone. I m still scratching my head about the contacts.

6. staz macrumors newbie

staz

I've been doing precicely that 2 weeks now. I was able to tinker with it at work, because my home computer's a laptop. iTunes on both, sync to iPhone only the DATA you want on your work computer (uncheck all music, video, etc.), and sync only the MEDIA on your home computer (uncheck everything in the data tab). I think you pretty much have to keep the DATA/MEDIA split though - I don't think you can sync anything on both computers, and I don't think you can sync, say, bookmarks and video podcasts on one and address book and movies on the other. But I haven't tried it, either. Anyone? Anyone?

Our I.T. guys mandate we keep our entertainment files off our work computers, so I didn't have a choice but to find an answer.

7. chiefillini macrumors regular

Going to try this tomorrow. Actually using parallels with winxp because want to use iphoneringtonemaker and since this damn thing only works on windows I guess this is my only choice. My plan is to have nothing sync on the win version of itunes. Here is some extra info i just ran across http://blogs.zdnet.com/mobile-gadgeteer/?p=500

Has anyone else done this for this reason or the reasons mentioned above.
    later