Syncing iPhone with new Macbook -- lose contacts?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dmfactor, Nov 26, 2010.

1. dmfactor macrumors newbie

I've recently picked up a new MacBook, my iPhone was synced with my old iMac that I no longer have. I want to sync my iPhone with my new MacBook, will I lose my contacts if I do it? I know it says erases all data on the iPhone when I click sync, so I'm a bit worried about going through with it before backing up my contacts. If this is the case and I do need to save my contacts, what would be the best way to go about doing this? Any help is appreciated.

2. dmfactor thread starter macrumors newbie

No one knows? This is one fault with the iPhone -- it can be too complicated at times. I simply want to change the computer my phone is synced with and I could risk losing all my contacts which just would not be acceptable. Sometimes I want a phone where the phone capability is the number one priority.

3. wpotere Guest

Yes, you will... If you sync your phone and allow contacts to be synced it will sync with the other address book. Transfer your contacts and then sync.

4. dmfactor thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the question I'm asking, how do I transfer my contacts?

5. X2thaP macrumors member

U can make a backup of your address-book (and iCal as well if u want) in the app on your Mac.
    Open the app on your Mac, select 'archive', 'export', 'address-book archive' and save it to, for example, your desktop.
    Now simply transfer this file to your new Mac, over your network or with a USB-stick or whatever, and import it into your
    address-book app on the new Mac. Now when you sync your phone, it should be just fine.

I do it this way to keep my iMac and MacBook up to date. I do it for contacts, iCal and iPhoto.