Syncing iphone with two itune libraries?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Gavbo, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Gavbo macrumors member

Hi All,

Dont know if this is possible, when I'm at work I like to use my work computer to search/download/sync new podcasts for viewing on my way home, but it seems I will loss my music on my iphone when I do so which is only stored on my home computer. When I sync with the work computer. I made sure the tick box for syncing music is unticked as there is no music on the work PC but it still cleared it out.

Is it possible to sync music from home computer and sync podcasts from my work computer?

Thanks in advance.

2. Sparky2070 macrumors newbie

similar problem

Hi Gavbo, just wondering if you have found a solution to your problem?

Or anyone else who knows how NOT to erase all data on my iphone when syncing with new itunes?

I formatted my computer and hence downloaded myself new itunes but now its attempting to erase all my data that was originally on my phone :(

Help!!

3. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I've never had this issue. Make sure "munually merge music and videos" (or whatever it's called) is enabled on both computers, make sure all sync-able material is unchecked, and do it all with drag and drop. I found out the hard way long, long ago that iTunes stupidly erases all your music/movies/etc if your Library doesn't match what's on your iDevice, and have never used automatic syncing since. Shouldn't make any difference whether it's mac or windows. As long as you don't let iTunes do anything automatically, you should be fine.

4. Kayan macrumors 6502

This is a tough one if you try to do it in an automated way, but if you enable to Manually Manage Songs and Videos, then you should be able to move songs on and off no matter the computer you're on.

5. doodude macrumors regular

doodude

Rather than start another thread I thought Id sort of piggie back here as I think it may be the same problem in reverse.

Ive tried to sync my iPhone & my iPad on the same computer but when I do I cant seem to separate the two.

If for instance I sync specific apps on my iPhone 1st, then whatever I install or remove from my iPhone will be the same apps that iTunes will install or remove from my iPad.
    So then if I try to sync my iPad, I have to go into each section in iTunes, apps, music, videos etc & pick out what I want to install or remove from my iPad. Its very time consuming & I dont always remember which app, music or video I have on which iPxxx.

Cant iTunes differentiate between the 2 units & see that each iPxxx has its own list of apps, music, videos etc installed & leave them that way?
    Or am I just not doing it right?

6. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

you must be something wrong. i currently sync 7 devices to my library and have no issue. the one thing i can think of is that if you check "automatically sync new apps" then guess what happens. :)

7. egnarts macrumors newbie

I've used this exact method for years to do exactly what you want to do. I load up current podcasts for the ride home from work. It's a shame we have to bust out a hex editor to do what any other mp3 player can do with a simple drag and drop, but that's the price we pay to sport the Apple logo.

8. az988 macrumors member

SharePod is a pretty nifty little program that might work for you... You'd probably want to check the 'Manually manage songs and videos' option in iTunes like others mentioned here.

Link:
    http://www.getsharepod.com/

Edit: not sure if it handles podcasts, and the solution mentioned above sounds like a better option for you