syncing iPhone's Photos w iPhoto

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulold, Apr 24, 2008.

1. paulold macrumors 6502

How do you have your photos synced on your iPhone? Since I use iPhoto, I would prefer to be able to choose specific events in my iPhoto Library to sync up my images (since I don't want to take up the entire iPhone memory with all of my photos). But when I try to sync with my iPhoto Library, I don't get to choose specific events. I can choose the most recent events, which is not my preference. I want to be able to pick and choose which collections of photos are on my phone.

So I end up going to the folders where my original photos are instead of the iPhoto Library. Since I have my photos organized into folders by the events they are from, this works for me. But how do I do the same thing using the iPhoto Library? I think this is why the pictures I've taken with my camera on its side and rotated in iPhoto do not appear properly rotated on my phone (since I'm syncing up with the original, unrotated file).

What am I doing wrong?

2. bstpierre macrumors 6502

iPhoto Syncing

I have a collection in iPhoto called "iPhone" and I put all the pictures I want in there. I just sync that collection.

What you can do is go to the Photos tab in iTunes and select that you want to sync with iPhoto and select that you want to sync specific collections (versus all photos) and you will have a list that you can put a check mark by the collections you want to sync.

I am writing this from memory and looking at a PC iTunes since I am not near my Mac so some of the details may be off but this should work in principle.

3. paulold thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the idea, but I prefer to keep my photos organized by event instead of one "iPhone" collection. That way, when I go to Photos on my phone, I can choose which album to open. I'm sorry I'm not by my Mac right now, but I do know there's a difference between what you can sync with the iPhoto Library and what you can sync if you just want to sync certain folders. I've tried it a couple of times to sync with my iPhoto Library, but each time, I was frustrated by the choices I got. When I get home, I'll try to be more explicit about what I see when I am in iTunes and setting the preferences for syncing my iPhone.

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Ok, well then do what bstpierre said but make an album in iPhoto for each of your Events and each time you create a new one synch it to your phone. Yes it's an extra step, but it's probably your best bet for getting things to work the way you want them to.

5. paulold thread starter macrumors 6502

So, events are not enough in iPhoto? I have to create albums as well? That seems a bit redundant. I have my photos in folders named after the occassions they were taken. Then when they are imported into iPhoto, the photos appear in what iPhoto calls Events (which have the same names as the folders they came from) but now I also have to create albums in iPhoto? I haven't needed albums since the Event feature in iPhoto acts like a photo album, in my mind. I guess I gotta go back and re-read the iPhoto manual...

6. infowarfare macrumors 6502

Discussed here

Already discussed recently here with reasons why:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=473293

7. paulold thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you! Very helpful! I'll update my iPhoto tonight and create albums for all of my events! Much appreciated! I knew there was something I was missing!