Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

memphismac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2003
I'm having some problems with my iMac G5 waking up from sleep properly, so I'm trying to cut back on the number of peripherals connected to the back of the machine.

I keep all of my music on an exteral firewire drive, and I sync my iPod with it every night. To have one less iMac port being used, I thought I would try plugging the iPod into the second FireWire port on the external drive.

But before I did, I wanted to throw that idea up here to make sure it's A) feasible and B) not totally insane.

Also, any suggestions on getting my iMac out of this sleep funk are welcomed as well.

Brian

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
Firewire can be Daisy-Chained !

memphismac said:
I'm having some problems with my iMac G5 waking up from sleep properly, so I'm trying to cut back on the number of peripherals connected to the back of the machine.

I keep all of my music on an exteral firewire drive, and I sync my iPod with it every night. To have one less iMac port being used, I thought I would try plugging the iPod into the second FireWire port on the external drive.

But before I did, I wanted to throw that idea up here to make sure it's A) feasible and B) not totally insane.

Also, any suggestions on getting my iMac out of this sleep funk are welcomed as well.

Brian

Yep, you can plug in your iPod or any other FW device into the second port. In fact, if the device is Externally powered (as opposed to Bus Powered - i.e. from your Mac) this may well help your sleep problem as if too much current is drawn from USB or FW ports it can, in certain circumstances, cause difficulties awakening from sleep - I have the same problem most mornings myself - And I do not have built-in FW ! LOL !
:rolleyes:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
works without a problem. this is my set up.

iMac G5 connected to External HD #1 connected to External HD #2 connected to iPod Dock for syncing. works without a problem even if my drives are turned off.

memphismac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2003
It takes a little longer for iTunes to recognize the iPod, but it syncs like a charm. Now we'll have to see if it helps the sleep situation.

Thanks for the assistance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.