Syncing iPod library to iPhone problems

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by skeetley, Mar 7, 2010.

1. skeetley macrumors newbie

I have searched for help but can't find any so I hope a new thread will help me out. Apologies if I just never found the correct previous thread.

I recently bought an iPhone and hooked it up to my iTunes authorized PC. I had previously used this iTunes and PC for my iPod.

I am trying to sync my songs and videos from the iTunes libray to my iPhone. Nothing moves across. Not the purchased songs, and not the unpurchased home videos. The videos are .mpg and I play them on my iPod so they are the correct format.

Each time I try to change the sync settings, iTunes threatens to delete all the apps and data off my phone. I don't want that at all.

I've tried the Transfer Purchases, I've tried dragging and dropping, I've tried re-adding files to the library all without success.

Any ideas?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Transfer purchases transfer FROM the iPhone TO the computer. So, if you're done that all your apps should be on the computer. So, syncing those shouldn't affect you. Check in itunes and you'll see.

When you change the sync settings for music, it should transfer the music (it'll say it's going to delete music). So do it. Same for movies.

Just make sure you're signed into you iTunes account and have authorized the computer, which I'm sure you have, since you used it for the iPod.

3. skeetley thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

I will try that. It was just concerning me when it said it would erase all applications and data they contain (I've set some killer high scores and don't want to lose them).

All my apps are on iTunes, even ones I've since deleted off my iPhone.

Thanks again.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You didn't say anything about game saves or app settings. Those are only in the backup. I'm not sure if you can restore from the backup for an iPod Touch to an iPhone.

So, you have to restore from a backup first (option or shift and click restore from backup, which will allow you to pick the backup). If you can't pick the iPod backup, you're SOL.