Syncing Itunes from a different computer an External HDD connected another PC

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ethics101, Apr 24, 2011.

1. ethics101, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011

ethics101 macrumors regular

Hi,

So currently, I have all my music on an external hard drive that is connected to a computer that it is always on. Is there a way that I can sync my iPad on a different computer using the files on the external HD over a wireless connection?>

Edit: I think I explained it poorly.

1. Computer A is running Itunes connected to an External Hard Drive (All Data is on the external hard drive)
    2. Computer B is running Itunes.
    3. Can I connect my iPad to computer B and then sync with the data on the external hard drive if I enable sharing or something of Computer A?

2. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Computer B would have to have the iTunes Library content set to the external hard drive. I have this setup at home.....my entire iTunes library is on an external USB drive, syncing to both my iPad and iPhone.

Syncing to any computer from an IOS device is only possible via USB - I just noticed you asked about a wireless option... Not possible, i'm afraid.

3. ethics101 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response. What I was trying to do was have the iPad recognize two seperate computers as the same library if each Itunes program is linked to the same hard drive. Computer B wouldn't be directly connected to the Hard Drive. Instead, it would be connected through computer A, but would be a shared drive. Its really hard trying to say what I want to do in writing :p

4. laurenr macrumors 6502a

If computer B is only connected to comp A via wifi, and not hard wired, you cannot sync the ipad with B. Whatever computer you sync the ipad to, iTunes has to "see" both the iPad, AND the ITunes library, and the only way to achieve this is with a direct connection.