Syncing iTunes playlists

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jcafaro10, Apr 18, 2011.

1. jcafaro10 macrumors member

I'm very picky about my music and all my files actually. I have all of my music on my laptop and backed up onto my media center. Both have iTunes. I already have some good syncing software that will make sure the files are the same in both places. But I have playlists on my laptop that I want to be on my media center and I want to be able to sync those playlists so that they don't need to be manually updated when I change one. Any ideas as to how to do that?

2. jcafaro10 thread starter macrumors member

Here's my solution as of now:

1) Open iTunes on computer A
    2) Manually export all of the playlists
    3) Run a script that I wrote in Java that changes the playlists so that they point to the correct file locations for computer B
    4) Transfer the playlists over the network
    5) Import the playlists in iTunes on computer B

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You might want to simply use the iTunes Music Library.xml file in the iTunes folder, that would save you exporting the playlists.

4. jcafaro10 thread starter macrumors member

My understanding of the iTunes library xml file is generated so if I made some modification to it and then put it on another computer, would it just get overwritten? Would it even work?

5. jcafaro10 thread starter macrumors member

For example, whenever you unplug the external hard drive that is set as your itunes media folder, itunes resets itself to using it's default and changes the xml file accordingly so I think that changing the xml file alone will not solve the issue