Syncing: Let me get this straight...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nüb, Mar 7, 2009.

1. nüb macrumors member

Hello,
    I've been using Macs for the last 18 years or so (yes, the little brownish/greyish boxes to the silver ones), so I am not unfamiliar with these machines. I am, however, struggling to maintain consistent data on 2 machines, an :apple:TV and an iPhone. I'd like to get a couple of things straight.

1] If I sync to my iPhone only "checked" AAC's, then my :apple:TV will only sync these same "checked" files, even though there is no warning about this in the :apple:TV sync iTunes screens and EVEN if I have "sync ALL songs" selected?

2] If I want my entire music library synced to my :apple:TV, and I want selected songs on my iPhone, then would it be easiest just to create a "iPhone" playlist and dump everything on there? I had it set up originally so ALL music was checked in iTunes, and a separate iPhone playlist. I went back to clean up some stuff and thought that it would be a good idea to have "checked" items sync to my iPhone, and "all songs" sync to my :apple:TV. This seems to have been a mistake because it wiped out ALL my songs on my :apple:TV and now it will take about 36 hours to get everything back to normal on my :apple:TV.

3] I have a Linksys router...which will likely be changed to an Airport Extreme here in the near future. It is a WRT54G. Whenever I sync to my :apple:TV, the router seems to get bungled up and I lose my internet connection. Has anyone had this problem?

2. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

not entirely relevant, but i have that same router and been having problems for ages with it. kind of getting annoyed with linksys routers dying on me