Syncing Lr4 libraries

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sairo, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Sairo macrumors regular

Sairo

He guys so Im looking or an option to sync my library between my Mac and Windows.
    I currently develop my pictures on my Windows desktop but now I have my MacBook I would like to do it both ways with one library.

So sync up my current library with my MacBook, take some shots, develop on my MacBook, save and then somehow have it sync up with my Windows library.

Is this possible? Maybe create a network folder for syncing the libraries? I dont mind having duplicate all the images in both places, as long as the original AND the edited file are available.

Or does this trick only work by exporting/importing my libraries every time I make a change?

2. tmagman macrumors 6502

i think you can put your pictures onto a network attached drive of sorts, however the catalog and cache files aren't compatible with a network location as far as I've tried and read. You could try putting those files into a dropbox synced folder and then direct LR on each machine to look for those two files in the dropbox folder. It should sync up the changes and settings. The only issue you may run into would be how each one is addressing the network drive (i.e. windows sees it as a Z: drive, and mac just sees it as a named volume)...

3. Sairo thread starter macrumors regular

Sairo

Care to explain the dropbox method? Kinda confused.

4. tmagman macrumors 6502

place the LR catalog file and the camera cache file in the dropbox folder on your computer, and tell LR to look for those files in that spot. When a change is made, dropbox will automatically detect that and do its stuff, when you log onto another computer that looks for the LR catalog files in its dropbox folder (instead of the standard LR folder inside your 'My Pictures' that it sets up), it should have the same settings and things applied, etc.

5. Sairo thread starter macrumors regular

Sairo

How flawless is this? I have 3Gb of dropbox space will this be enough? I really have no idea how big the library gets.

Which exact folders and files do I need to upload? My Windows pictures will be transfered to my mac right?
    Ill give it à try.