Syncing Mac with Windows Mobile

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 04-7fiddy, May 31, 2008.

1. 04-7fiddy macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I got a question here and I'm trying to see if anyone can help me out here. I've had a Palm Treo for some time and have never had any problem with syncing my phone with my mac. Well now I just upgraded to the BlackJack II which runs Windows Mobile 6. I just heard from a buddy of mine that you cannot sync a WM phone with a mac. Well after doing some google searches, it looks like he was right. Only thing I could find were some old un-updated articles about the problem and some 3rd party apps that you have to pay for. Nothing was current. Is there any other way to sync without these apps? Has mac come out with any updates for this issue? I'd really appreciate any insight on this. Thanks in advance!

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

How long did you google and what did you google for?

I've been syncing my Treo 750 (WM 5 and now WM 6) ever since I got my Mac.

Missing Sync is the best bet. There are a couple more, but Missing Sync is by far IMO the best. Yes you have to pay for it, but it's well worth it if you truely use your WM device.

I use it on my iMac, my wife uses it on her MB and I even sync the same device to my company Dell. All my calendars are in sync as well as my wifes stuff so it's absolutely lovely.

We use the built in .Mac iCal sync'ing so our iCal's are in sync. Then we connect our phones via BT and sync those calendars (we do this automatically when we get home), then when I goto the office, I sync to my office laptop (dell) and sync up my Exchange, it transfers my iCal calendars and has them as "Categories" then when I get home, my work appointments are sync'd up to my "Work" calendar in iCal and my wife also gets that through the iCal sync via .Mac (or you can one time buy Busysync)

When it's all said and done we're all sync'd up and on the same page. Took me a while to get it setup right to so that my Exchange wasn't screwing with my iCal but it's pretty much flawless now and once I'm in range of my iMac I just "Active Sync via BT" and in a few secs it's done.

Missing Sync, if your only mobile device is WM it's a def smart buy.

3. 04-7fiddy thread starter macrumors newbie

I did the search tonight. I believe I googled "syncing WM on a mac". missing sync came up a few times. I still have not received the phone and was just sort of skeptical on not being able to sync without a 3rd party app. Thanks for the info! Anyone else have any other comments?

4. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

Errr, upgrade from a Palm Treo to a Blackjack II?? Isn't that a downgrade???

JK, I was a Treo user and loved it. Missing Sync was great to use to sync it with my MacBook. I'd also like to throw in another vote for Missing Sync. I switched to a BlackBerry and it's syncing just as great as it did with my Treo. It syncs just as you would expect it to, without any problems, and the support is great (if you do run into any). Sure, it costs some money, but it's definitely worth it. There's a trial period, so you can do that and see if you like it or not. Honestly, unless somethings free that you're interested in, Missing Sync would be your best bet.

5. 04-7fiddy thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL, your right! The thing is ATT is pretty much getting rid of Palm, and I really don't want the Palm Centro. Now that is a downgrade!! I'm going to check out the missing sync. I really appreciate the info guys! Thanks!

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Good luck to you. A quick note about sync'ing, I could have probably ask in a forum but learning the software half the time on your own is someone better, but also frustrating as hell.

When syncing with iCal, don't hesitate to use different calendars to group things, like "Work", "School", "Home", "Sports", etc.

Then on your WM Phone, they'll actually be in ONE calendar but categorized. CATEGORIZED is the key! Then if you need to use "Active Sync" and Exchange or Outlook (haven't tried outlook express) with Exchange, before you sync (I found this to work best) create those categories PRIOR to sync'ing. Then, when you sync your phone to a windows pc, all your categories will fall into place.

On your Outlook, don't hesitate to use categories, those translate to 'calendars' in iCal. And finally, create a calendar in iCal something like "Uncategorized" and in Missing Sync Cal sync options, tell it to send all uncategorized items to the "Uncategorized" calendar, so you can clean them up later.

Just something I wanted to pass along from my experience with sync'ing between mac's and windows to make life easier (if you ever had to do something like this) Once it's all setup, it's a seamless process and you won't know the difference.