syncing macbook pro & imac - easiest solution?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by INEEDANOTEBOOK, Jan 13, 2011.

1. INEEDANOTEBOOK macrumors member

I've already posted a similar thread elsewhere - and I know now that 2 solutions (three with a simple usb key) are available: ChronoSync & CCC.
    ChronoSync seems simple, but I've not bought it yet, so I can't judge.
    CCC is free but it seems rather complex to set up.

Most of all, it seems that whatever the setup, we still have to sync the 2 macs manually after each use. In that case, it's not that different from using a simple USB key, to me. Or am I wrong?

Are there other solutions?
    Would anyone care to share their experience?

2. eah2119 macrumors regular

I've always thought about this and I'm surprised Apple still hasn't done anything about it.

You were talking about a USB key. They generally don't hold that much, so I'm assuming it's just a few documents and you're the only person using the computers. So you take the USB wherever you go and you plug it in to whichever computer you're using, so you always have your documents. If that's the case I'd just stick with that. Keep in mind though they can hold from less than a gig to 40 gigs (with increasing price).

3. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

What exactly do you want to sync?
    a combination of online services like MobleMe or Dropbox and BackToMyMac (part of Mobile Me) might work. At least it does for me...

As an example, I have all of my iTunes content stored on an external drive attached to my iMac. The iTunes folder is shared. I set up my MBP to use that shared folder as my iTunes folder and to not try to automatically organize it or copy files. This allows me to access my iTunes content from either system as long as my MBP is connected to my home network. Plus, using Back to My Mac, I can access the share remotely - this works OK for music, but is too slow to to play video.

So, instead of really syncing the two computers, I have made the content I want to share available to both from a shared location.

4. INEEDANOTEBOOK, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011

INEEDANOTEBOOK thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your answer!

I'm considering dropbox right now. Seems really good: it's automatic as long as you are online. You can choose precisely which files to share, and it seems really easy to set up and use. The only drawback is that it is only free up to 2 GO. So... I will have to stick with my working files only.

I will have a look at mobile me.

5. INEEDANOTEBOOK thread starter macrumors member

Yes, or maybe it is included but we don't know it... For instance, I just discovered that iSync does that for emails and calendars.:D

Anyhow - I found that dropbox seems to be a nice alternative to using a usb key.

6. nuxx macrumors member

nuxx

Aside from Dropbox, you may want to take a look at Windows Live Mesh as well.

You get 5GB of storage and unlike Dropbox you don't have to place your synced files in a specific folder.

7. sjfwhite macrumors member

sjfwhite

I'm amazed that there is a Mac version! Good find!

8. INEEDANOTEBOOK thread starter macrumors member

Fantastic! Thanks a lot!

9. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

Not true.

You can have more than 2 GB. I have 17.48 GB

[​IMG]

dropbox.com/free
    dropbox.com/edu

10. INEEDANOTEBOOK thread starter macrumors member

How did you get that? Refferal?

11. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

Yes but I cheated the system using ubuntu, heh.

12. INEEDANOTEBOOK thread starter macrumors member

just checked Mobile Me out. It is without doubt the most complete solution, and it seems simple too... but it's also overpriced, IMO. For now, I think I will stick to Dropbox or Windows Live Mesh and see how long I can work with a few GO.

Anyway, thanks for your answers, guys, very useful as usual! :cool:

and BTW, if any of you want referral, don't hesitate!:D