Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

likeomg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
At my office I have a Mac Pro. When I'm on the go, I am using a Macbook Pro.

I am often at photo gigs, and take photos/edit on the fly on the Macbook Pro, but then I want to bring them back to my Mac Pro where they get archived/organized/backed up/etc.

Macbook Pro is the retina edition with a SSD, so obviously I will never use it for long term storage.

Right now, its a HUGE pain to migrate Lightroom5 adjustments from the Macbook to the Mac Pro. Sometimes when I export/import a catalogue things go wrong and I have to start the whole process over.

I don't always have internet access when I'm shooting, so its not like I can directly upload photos onto a networked drive (Shooting in RAW, 25mb or 250mb PSD files would suck to wait on).

What are your tips in making workflow easier in doing this? How do you work?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Import the raw files into the MBP as DNG files. Using DNG file format means any adjustments plus the jpg preview are all contained within the DNG file. So there are no XML sidecar files of adjustments to get lost. You can then easily move the files from the MBP onto a large USB stick or external USB drive. Then connect the stick or drive to the Pro and import them to the desired LR library folder. Once they are safely in the Pro's LR library, delete them on the MBP using LR to free us space on the MBP. Also backup the Pro as soon as the files are imported.

The wife and I have rMBPs with 756GB SSDs. Those give use around 500GB of storage to collect photos on multiple week trips. When we come home, the files are moved via LR from the internal SSDs to external LACie 2Big 6TB set up as RAID 1 (3TB mirrored). All of the rMBPs's file systems are backed up by Time Capsules.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.