Syncing Mail accounts to Touch takes forever!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by skybolt, Aug 15, 2008.

1. skybolt macrumors 6502a

I guess the title says it all -- takes almost an hour to sync my iPod touch. Just keeps showing the message that it is syncing mail accounts. I could understand it if I had a lot of accounts, or a lot of mail, or if it were the first sync, but this happens every day! Only 2 accounts -- MobileMe and GMail, not over 100 messages total in all accounts/folders.

Anybody else have this problem? Any fix? Thanks in advance!

2. ajcfreak macrumors newbie

ajcfreak

3. skybolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

Your Gmail account, did you do an automatic setup or IMAP? Also, did you set it up via iPod Touch or computer?

If you do automatic setup, it is POP3, and it only downloads emails from the time it's setup. If it's IMAP you'll be downloading EVERY EMAIL!

5. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

I'm interested in this. I wana sync my .mac account, but I don't wanna download EVERY mail.... I just want it to start downloading the e-mails from the day I sync it foward.

How to?

6. skybolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

My Gmail is IMAP, but there are only about 5 messages in there -- including spam. I set up the Gmail via the computer, and it just seems to flow over to the touch. Should I have done something to the touch? When I first synced it after MobileMe, I followed the instructions to set up MM that came up in the sync window.

7. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

Hmmm...

Sounds like a funky issue with your computer then, but to humor me, if you switch your GMail account to a POP3, it might be quicker.

I have IMAP on my iPod Touch for Gmail (over 7000 messages).

Here's what I did to get my Gmail IMAP synced up with my iPod Touch.

Setup your email accounts on the iPod Touch, and then make sure you have them properly setup on your computer.

Hook the iPod touch up to the computer and check under the Info tab on your iPod that your emails are being synced.

To get PUSH on your MobileMe, make sure MobileMe is activated on your comptuer (System Prefs > MobileMe). The Sync tab should be set as Automatic, this will give you PUSH capabilities.

Get back into iTunes, iPod, Info tab, and make sure PUSH is active.

Reply back if that stuff doesn't work.

8. skybolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had already done what was suggested -- multiple times, in fact. But over the weekend, I noticed that my computer was taking a long time to sync to MobileMe, and was hung on the mail accounts (just like the iPod -- so maybe it was not the iPod, after all!). So, I went into resetting all sync items and selected from my computer to the cloud. Left it -- seven hours later, it was still syncing!!! so, I stopped that. Then I unchecked everything, and synced each item -- bookmarks, mail, keychains etc. one at a time. Each individual item synced in a short time -- like I would expect. Then I rechecked all items I wanted to sync, and tried the sync with multiple items checked. Worked in a matter of seconds. So -- I tried attaching my iPod and sure enough, the sync went just fine! Updated podcasts this morning for the bus ride to work, and still synced to my iPod in a matter of seconds. So, guess just forcing each item to sync individually worked (though I had tried that before, too). For now I am good to go. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions!