Syncing mail between iPhone and iMac ??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Foxile, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Foxile macrumors regular

Hi

I don't know if this has been asked before, but a quick search didn't throw up any answers....

I'm working away from home, so I can't use data roaming and the room I'm staying in doesn't have a wi-fi connection, so I have to use my iPhone to check my mails on a shared wi-fi access some distance away.

Some of my mails require lengthy replies, so I'm loathe to try and type them out on the iPhone itself.

Is there a way to download the mail to my phone and then copy them across to my iMac, where I can draft a reply, copy it back over to the iPhone and pop out to the wi-fi access point and send ??

2. Foxile thread starter macrumors regular

Good idea for an App then, if anyone's writing ;-)

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You could use File Aid/Disk Aid.

4. Foxile thread starter macrumors regular

Never heard of them, but I'll take a look...thanks....

5. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

I take it your work email account is not set up as an IMAP one? If it is, you can do this easily already if you have your account set up to save draft emails on the server. With this setting switched on, emails you start to draft on your iPhone will be saved to your Drafts folder on the server, and you can access these on your iMac at home and pick up where you left off. If you can set up your work account as an IMAP one, you won't need to do anything special at all or find an app to do this. This Apple support article talks about the difference between IMAP and POP email protocols (in relation to MobileMe, but the concepts apply for other email accounts as well).

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

He's working away from home and doesn't have wifi access.

7. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

I misunderstood then. I read this as if the OP was going to use his/her iPhone to get new mail at a Wi-Fi hotspot a ways away and then wanted to a way to start writing a reply and then finish the reply on the iMac. But if there's no internet access for the iMac, then this won't work. I was thrown off by the "my iMac" part - since I've never really heard of with anyone having an iMac in their hotel room when traveling away from home.

8. Foxile thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry I should have explained better in my original post.

I'm working for the coalition forces on a USAF base in the Middle East. My room doesn't have wi-fi access for the iMac, so I'm having to collect my emails on my iPhone for now.

I might just have to bite the bullet and sell the iMac, then buy a new Macbook to save the hassle.