Syncing Mail with gmail is taking forever!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DisplacedMic, May 1, 2009.

1. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

Hello everyone first time poster and first time Mac owner! So far so (very) good - I am extremely happy with my brand new Macbook. In fact I would go so far as to say that this has been the best computer I have ever owned.

So with that out of the way I have to ask why Mail is taking so long to sync w/ gmail and if there's a faster way to get this done? I have had gmail since the beginning - my roommate in college worked for google so he hooked all his buddies up w/ invitations. So needless to say I have many tens of thousands of emails. I understand it should take a long time, but it has been 3 days. I have given up telling it to fetch new mail and now it checks every minute. The problem there is, it only pulls a few emails at a time...sometimes as many as 20 or so but more often less - even 1 per minute. I am not even into 2009's emails yet. Is there any way to move this along?

This is a brand new machine so obviously I am running the latest version of everything - updates included.

Thanks guys!

2. OrangesOfCourse macrumors member

how have you configured your gmail account? IMAP or POP?

I have about 3,000 emails and it didn't take too long... maybe you should delete the account and try setting it up again.

3. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Mine is set up as a POP account, and works just fine in my 2.2 BMB. I have no problem getting e-mails instantly from my web site to my GMail address on both my laptop and my i-Phone:D

4. DisplacedMic thread starter macrumors 65816

hi there - it is POP and i have more like 30,000 emails... i'd rather not delete the account - i'd just like a way to push the emails through faster. why doesn't it download ALL of the messages rather than a few at a time?

5. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Set it up as IMAP, why would you set it as POP, when IMAP is far superior, due to the fact that your mailboxes would stay synchronized. I have over 10,000 messages in mail, and when setting up it took about a few minutes to download.

6. OrangesOfCourse macrumors member

Is there a reason you are using POP?

7. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Could be he's going with POP because he's only going to use it through Mail on his Mac.

But I'm going to have to agree and suggest you set it up as IMAP.

8. DisplacedMic thread starter macrumors 65816

because i am new to this and have no idea what i'm doing:D

I did indeed set it to IMAP and you absolutely correct - far superior. Worked like a charm. Thanks everyone for your input!

I l:apple:ve my new machine