Syncing Multiple Devices

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marty1990, Jul 1, 2012.

1. marty1990 macrumors 6502

Hey,

Am hoping to be getting the new iPad this week, but I have a question about iTunes. For my iPod, I have it set up for automatic sync. Now, since my iPod is my main music device, I don't have a need to have a duplicate library on my iPad. So, I'm wondering, what's the best way to get round this? A separate library on iTunes for my iPad? Or something? I dunno.

2. seajay96 macrumors 6502

Just turn off syncing music in iTunes. It's a check mark on the music page of iPad settings

Or, you can just sync a playlist you setup for the iPad if you have specific songs you do want on the iPad

3. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

Each iOS device is treated entirely separate. Just plug in the iPad, and uncheck the 'sync all music' box, and either have no music, or just have a smaller playlist, or whatever. Really easy to do.

4. marty1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahhh, I think I get it. So when I first plug in, deselect automatic sync to the iPad, and that should leave it set up for my Nano. Then, just do the playlist method for the iPad? I dunno how to do that, always used automatic sync.

*goes to Google*

btw, just curious... can I use my iPad charger to charge my iPod? I'm sick of charging it through my Mac.

5. Night Spring, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You can disable automatic sync for all devices, or have it enabled for all devices. It's not a setting you can set device by device. It's in the iTunes preferences settings somewhere.

Once you disable automatic sync, you have to sync each device manually by clicking the "sync" button for each device.

Selective sync is a setting you can configure device by device, and it's not really related to automatic sync. If you have automatic sync enabled, and configure a device to only sync one playlist, then that single playlist will sync automatically each time you connect the device.

And yes, you can use the iPad charger to charge your iPod.

In case you haven't found a good info page, here's a page showing how to setup music syncing on a iPad.
    http://ipad.about.com/od/iPad_Guide/ss/How-To-Sync-An-iPad-With-iTunes-Music-Movies-Apps_3.htm