syncing multiple folders over 2 macs wirelessly?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jcrazyjj, Jul 9, 2009.

1. jcrazyjj macrumors regular

jcrazyjj

ok. so. im kinda anal about backing **** up. that said...

im getting a MBP for school blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda

i need a program that will allow me to automatically sync files between both my macs. (preferably wirelessly)

id like the notes i take in class on the mbp to sync with the imac when i get home. Id like my picture folders, design work folders, and documents folders to be in sync on both computers whenever im home.

if i add new pictures on the mbp, take new notes, or work on a .psd file. I want them available on the imac without me having to manually bring them over and vice versa.

i just need a way for the folders to sync whenever im home.

that way when i do a back up on my imac, it also has a back up of the folders on the mbp.

and for free? or very cheap?

or am i just asking for way too much?

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Use a free account from Dropbox. This starts at 2GB and gets bigger to an extent if you invite friends and they sign up for an account. For documents this should work just fine. For miscellaneous pictures it should also be ok but if you have like 1000 pictures you want to sync you are going to need to pay for a bigger account. If you add files to the Dropbox folder it automatically syncs it with any other computer that has dropbox installed on it that is hooked to your account. You can also access your files from another computer online by going to the dropbox website and signing into your account.

NOTE: Its 100$ a year for 50GB and 200$ for 100GB

3. jcrazyjj thread starter macrumors regular

jcrazyjj

not sure how i like that...

i dont like how i have to have said file in the drop box. i wish it was possible for me to have a file in my mbp documents folder just sync and show up in my imacs documents folder and vice versa. i am a very organized person and dont like stuff just floating around.

now is that 2gb mean i am allowed to have a max to 2gb of files in my drop box at any time?

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yeah its a max limit. For a free account the limit is 2GB. I'll search around and see if I come up with anything. I know that it is possible to sync two folders with an automator action, but I don't know if it can be done over the internet, probably not.

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

6. jcrazyjj thread starter macrumors regular

jcrazyjj

it doesnt absolutely have to be done wirelessly. but it is preferred.

how does the automator action work? usb?

7. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

8. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Well preferably firewire if you have firewire ports. I'm guessing you would have to startup one of the computers in target disk mode so it would show up as a hard disk on the other mac. Then download and import this action into automator. You would have to add the "get specified finder items" action before the sync folders one. You would have to make a separate workflow for each set of folders you would want to sync. You could save these workflows as applications and just run them each time you want to sync. This is probably the more complicated route but it is free and works without any extra software (save the automator command).

You would also have to get a firewire connector cable

EDIT: Target Disk Mode only works with firewire, so you would need to do it with a firewire cable if you were using target disk mode. I am not sure what happens if you just connect two computers with a usb cable, I think you can only connect two macs with a firewire cable

9. jcrazyjj thread starter macrumors regular

jcrazyjj

i also found this.

ChronoSync

looks like itll do everything i need it to.

10. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

11. jcrazyjj thread starter macrumors regular

jcrazyjj

thank again for all the help. ill let you know how it goes when i get it.

anyone else have any ideas?