Syncing multiple iPhones with one exchange account

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jstockdale, Apr 18, 2011.

1. jstockdale macrumors newbie

We are trying to sync our iPhones in the office to one central contact list and cannot seem to get it working properly.

Here's the scenario:
    We are using Exchange 2003 and we have 2 exchange accounts set up on each of the 3 different iPhone 4's. One account is the person's individual account (like testuser@asdf.com) the other is a master database account (masterdb@asdf.com). We have mail, contacts, calendars setup on the testuser@asdf.com but only contacts are on for the masterdb@asdf.com. We have 13,000 contacts in the contacts folder for masterdb@asdf.com.

The problem:
    Every iPhone loads all the 13k contacts then after about 30min the iPhone kicks all the contacts off then reloads all 13k contacts again. This happens in a constant loop all day.

Has anyone heard of this? Or heard of a solution? We are just trying to find a way to get one contact list synced to multiple iPhones.

2. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I have no experience administrating Exchange, but I have used it extensively as a user. Look into setting up the Global Address List. Here is a tutorial, I'm not sure if it is good, but it may point you in the right direction.

Pros:
    Every user only has one account

Cons:
    Not available offline

The school of engineering at my university has it set up this way. You can open the Contacts app, touch "Groups" to go to the groups menu, and then touch "[Account Name] Global Address List" and it will allow you to search through those contacts. For SMS or E-mail, you can just start typing the name in the "To" field and it will show up in the list below.

3. jstockdale thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks mikes63737, that seems to be working. We are having issues getting the address and the notes fields showing up though.