Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rarchy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Does anyone know how I can sync my music in iTunes with my iPhone? I mean offline music I have purchased, or I copied from CDs. It used to be there, but I have noticed a lot of it has disappeared from my phone and in the past I was able to sync using iCloud, however it appears that "music library" has disappeared from iCloud! I dont have Apple Music, nor do I want to sign up for it (I am happy with Spotify)

On Apples website, it gives instructions where I have to connect my phone with a USB - I mean come on, have we gone back 10 years?! What happened to syncing over the cloud?

I am using iOS 13.2.2 (I just updated yesterday to see if it made a difference, it didnt), and Mac 10.14.6 (dont want to update to Catalina yet, but cant see why that would impact it?)

I am logged into both with the same Apple ID, and below are screenshots of the music preferences where there is no sync option.
iPhone - Mac -
Please don't tell me Apple have removed this function in order to get people to sign up to Apple Music!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The closest thing to “syncing over cloud” is iTunes Match. For syncing offline music or music ripped from CDs or whatnot, there was no cloud sync and will not have cloud sync in the future.
My guess is you signed up for iTunes Match before but forgot about it. Now that Apple Music is more or less replacing the iTunes Match for many people, Apple is no longer a fan of keeping old iTunes Match around.

I realise I may not get your “syncing over cloud” thing, so feel free to explain a bit further if I got it wrong.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
On Apples website, it gives instructions where I have to connect my phone with a USB - I mean come on, have we gone back 10 years?! What happened to syncing over the cloud?

Assuming as mentioned above that you are on Mojave 10.14.6 you can configure the wireless sync of your phone in iTunes ( as long as they are both logged into the same Wi-Fi network) - you might need a USB connection if the wireless is not set up - but just the one time to change the settings.

Personally I turn this off to avoid Sync when traveling - it slows the iPhone/ IPP down in hotels, clients wifi, airports etc.

You can turn this "on" as per below . . .

iPhone-sync-settings.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.