Syncing my iPhone to a new computer, any tips or advice?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rmsutherland, Oct 14, 2011.

1. rmsutherland macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a new Macbook Pro to replace my older PC. I have a iPhone 3GS that I have been syncing to my old PC since I've owned the phone. I would like to sync it to my new Macbook.

Is there a process that I should be following? Should I just plug it in and go with it? Will my apps, songs, and pics that are currently on the phone be wiped out upon syncing?

Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

3. neocerebrum macrumors newbie

I also bought a new computer and authorized iTunes on my new computer by logging in with my Apple ID. But now when I plug in my iPhone (with about three years of data, favorites, settings, notes, apps, screenshots, and more), iTunes says "Updating to iOS5 will delete all of the apps, and media, including iTunes Store purchases, on your iPhone."
    After all the money I've spent with Apple, they are going to reward me by deleting all of the data on my iPhone? That just doesn't make sense to me. :confused:

4. neocerebrum macrumors newbie

NOTE: iCloud is a way around all of this. It just worked for me. Backup your iPhone to iCloud, then activate your new computer iTunes account and download purchases from iCloud, then attach your iPhone to your new computer and transfer all purchases, then select Sync and it should work just fine. Note: you must first upgrade your iPhone to iOS5 on your old computer so that you have iCloud. Alternatively, you can eliminate the computer all together and just backup to iCloud, then restore your new iPhone from iCloud. good luck. :) :cool: