syncing my iPhone to my new macbook...my PC died!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pedroistheman, Jun 6, 2009.

1. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

So my 5 year old Dell just died and I am going to the apple store tomorrow to buy a new Macbook. All of the data from my iPhone was backed up on the Dell, but I want to be able to sync with the new MB.

What will happen when I connect my iPhone to the new MB? Will I have to erase everything currently on my phone? Should I try to get the files off of the crashed Dell or just redownload apps and transfer music directly from iPhone?

Thanks for any insight or advice, I appreciate it

2. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I think in the old itune this used to happen. currently itune will ask you either to erase your iphone or transfer your info to itune. So don't worry.

Though i am just curios. can't you wait till monday. Just to check there is no update to the macbook?

3. hbg macrumors regular

You're playing with fire. Call 800-MYAPPLE first. I had this same probably a year ago and lost everything (fortunately I had everything backed up online) when I did what you are about to do. You have to do it absolutely right. Call Apple and let them walk you through it.

4. The General macrumors 601

If you do it their way, your music will be erased. Use Senuti to get your music off of it first.

5. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

I just took hubby from PC to a Mac. We brought a 500G hard drive, and transfered everything that way. If you can get info from your Dell I would go that way so you can get everything you want and need from there. Then you will have a backup just in case anything ever happens again.

6. Shawnstra macrumors regular

I don't know if it has changed, but when I switched to a MBP last July, I had an iPod Touch. Most of my music was in CD form that I put on iTunes, and I had to redo it as it was not compatible (I think the conversion was into a different format). I think all mp3s should work though.

7. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

I'd pick up an external drive enclosure, remove the old HD from your Dell and see if you can recover any data from it. Your hard drive may be fine - you never mentioned how your Dell died.

Also it's a good lesson that you should always have an external backup of your data.