Syncing my iPhone with a new Mac due to theft.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Messy, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Messy macrumors 6502

Hey chaps,

Wondered if you could help.

Couple of weeks ago my laptop, TV, and other electrical items were stolen from my home after a break in. They even stole my iPhone charger (!).

I went and got myself a MacBook to keep me sane and to get back on the internet, but when i went to sync my iPhone it started deleting all the stuff on the iPhone!

All my music is on there, my apps, etc etc.

Now, i have proof of the break in, i have a crime reference number from the police and other proof to show that my laptop was stolen.

Is there any way i can (without messing about and jailbreaking etc etc) sync my iphone?

Surely theres a solution for people in this sort of situation? Or shall i just call Apple?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Messy thread starter macrumors 6502

Ive heard about the 3rd party apps.

I was hoping there would be a solution that would actually let me sync it as normal with itunes, I would hope Apple would take into account these sorts of things happen..?

3. Messy thread starter macrumors 6502

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Redownload your music and apps from the iTunes store, then sync.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

But you have to repurchase songs in order to re download them. Only applications you can download again and again for free.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I didn't say it was free. Its just the only alternative to stridemat's suggestion above. It's like if you have a CD stolen. Repurchasing is one of the few options you have.

7. Messy thread starter macrumors 6502

So there isnt essentially a official way to solve this solution, Apple dont provide a solution if this sort of thing happens?

And thanks for the 'you could go buy all your music again', sure, i'll go ahead and do that whilst im buying the TV that was stolen, the Laptop that was stolen and all the other electricals that were stolen.

8. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

If you email and Apple rep (www.apple.com/support) and tell them you need to redownload all of your stuff due to loss (mention the break-in) they'll reauthorize you to redownload everything once, including music.

9. Messy thread starter macrumors 6502

Great, thanks, i'll do that now. Many thanks. :)

10. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

No prob buddy, glad to help. :D

11. jmmtn4aj macrumors member

Is it a simple one-click affair? Or do you have to manually hunt down all the songs and apps that you've purchased before?

12. Messy thread starter macrumors 6502

I called Apple today (yes, eventually got round to doing it), and they said no such function exists, and that they would not be able to do this for me.

Not really sure what to do :confused:

13. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

they will absolutely do that for you. you mustve talked to some idiot who had no idea what they were doing.

14. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

Use the email support not calling.