Syncing my iphone with new computer

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tjespo22, Dec 20, 2010.

1. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

Hey so pretty much my ibookg4 died a while ago. Still have it but its all apart (my friend thought he could fix it). I got a MBP and i need to get my iphone to sync with it but i cant erase anything, i have over 2k pictures and all of my music on it. Is the only way to do this is take the old hd, put it in a case to make it an external hd and transfer over the itunes folder?
    any help would be appreciated.
    thanks
    tom

2. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

It should not erase the pics you have taken with the phone itself if Im not mistaken. Its never happened to me. With the music Id just get some free software which allows you to pull your music from the iphone to the computer. I use music rescue but not sure if it works with MACs

3. tjespo22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

I have to transfer over my backup of my iphone from the old computer to the new computer somehow.

4. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

5. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Remove the hard drive out of you other machine and hook it up via USB. Pull over your itunes folder and put it on your new machine in the same spot. Verify everything has moved over. Start iTunes and make sure everything is working.

If so.. hook your phone up and sync. There might be a couple of little items you need to address but for the most part, nothing should change and it should work flawlessly.

I switched my syncing from a PC to a Mac and just copied my iTunes folder over. Hooked up my phone and synced. No problems. You don't need anything else except the iTunes folder.

Also - FYI - the first backup will take a little bit depending on how much stuff is on your phone. It has to create a new one since there is none after the switch. Once done, it will be much faster whenever you hook back up to sync again.

6. tjespo22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

THanks for the reply. Can't wait to open up this MacBook pro :) I've had my iBook for 6 years.

7. icewing macrumors 6502

There's an app for that...on your Mac. Fire up Migration Assistant (in Utilities folder), follow the directions. Works great!

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

That may not be the only way but it is the easiest IMO. There's a lot of good information floating around on how to move the iTunes folder and what you are doing isn't unique, it's almost the same as replacing a hard drive.

Also, it's a good time to make a backup of that old drive before you do anything else with it. :)