Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Is there easy way that I don't know about to keep my iTunes libraries on multiple computers synced? I've got a PBG4 at home with almost 5000 songs on it. I've also got a PMG5 at work, and I'd like to keep copies of the same songs on it. There just doesn't seem to be an easy way to keep them synchronized. Let's say I rip some new CDs to the G4, or I change the way current tracks are listed (i.e. I change the genre from "rock" to "alternative," or I change the album name). Is there an easy way to get those new songs (or those new changes) onto the G5, short of copying the new songs and making the changes manually?

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
MattG said:
Is there easy way that I don't know about to keep my iTunes libraries on multiple computers synced? I've got a PBG4 at home with almost 5000 songs on it. I've also got a PMG5 at work, and I'd like to keep copies of the same songs on it. There just doesn't seem to be an easy way to keep them synchronized. Let's say I rip some new CDs to the G4, or I change the way current tracks are listed (i.e. I change the genre from "rock" to "alternative," or I change the album name). Is there an easy way to get those new songs (or those new changes) onto the G5, short of copying the new songs and making the changes manually?

I don't know of a way but would love an answer to this question as well. This might be a needed feature to iTunes, I would love to sync my powerBook to my iMac, which has the main library. I would also love to sync just playlist, vs the whole main library.

The only way I have found to do this is to burn a CD-RW of the stuff I want to sync and move it over.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
make a dedicated "itunes" partition on whatever computer in your systems acts as a "server". put your itunes library there. then, connect all other computers to that partition and configure those computers to use that network share as an itunes library.

works for me, at least. i have a G3 imac in kitchen for occasional web surfing, and a G4 laptop in daily use. both share same tunes.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
JFreak said:
make a dedicated "itunes" partition on whatever computer in your systems acts as a "server". put your itunes library there. then, connect all other computers to that partition and configure those computers to use that network share as an itunes library.

works for me, at least. i have a G3 imac in kitchen for occasional web surfing, and a G4 laptop in daily use. both share same tunes.

Is there a way that a server can mount via Rendezvous?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
MattG said:
I believe .Mac subscribers can do this in Tiger...when it's released. I don't know of any easy solution, especially if the only way the two computers can connect is through the Internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.