Syncing on a new computer advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by christianik1407, Sep 22, 2010.

1. christianik1407 macrumors newbie

I am going to upgrade my Eee PC to linux, but i sync my iPhone to it, and i was wondering if it is simple as moving my iTunes folder or if there is something deeper involved.:apple:

Thanks,
    Christian

2. PeteLP macrumors regular

You're wise to ask. I asked one of the guys at the apple genius bar the other day before replacing my internal hard drive. He told me that that was all I needed. He was wrong.

You might do OK without any more than that, but I had a problem syncing right after I moved to the new machine, so I had to restored to factory condition and had no earlier backups to revert to.

The iphone backups are kept in a few different places depending on your OS. On XP they're kept in the subfolders of:
    C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER_NAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\

You should make sure to get a copy of those folders. Those folders keep phone settings, and app data.

They do not keep calendar or contact info which are kept in the files you sync to, such as outlook. On my machine Outlook was kept in C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER_NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst

What are you planning to use to sync the iphone from within Linux? I doubt that there's a Linux app that will restore your iphone from the backups I've been talking about.

And of course you'll need your music files, which are not necessarily kept in the itunes library folder or its subfolders (that's user specifiable, and the files might have been left in their original location, around your disk, as well)

Pete

3. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

On Mac all you have to do is move the folder. I've done it multiple times. No clue about the other OS'.

4. tac22 macrumors 6502

I've recently done this and everything is fine except it gets rid of my folders, and organization of apps. Is there a way around this?