Syncing "On My Mac" mail folders between 2 computers

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Salmonchaser, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Salmonchaser macrumors newbie

Is there any simple way to keep the local On My Mac mail folders synced between two or more Macs? I have a work laptop and a home machine and I'd like to keep the local saved messages the same between both.

I assume that I could use iCloud Drive to house the folders, but not sure if I move them that mail will find them (no way of doing that in preferences). The email accounts are Gmail and an MS Exchange account. I don't use iCloud to sync Mail because I found it interfered with my Exchange functions.

Thanks!

2. Bruno09, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

not a solution, but is there any reason you created these folder "On my Mac" rather than on the 2 mails accounts ?

If they were on your (IMAP I guess) accounts, they would get synced through the IMAP process.

3. Salmonchaser thread starter macrumors newbie

My work-related exchange account has limited on-server storage permitted (3GB) and I get a lot of email. I have to do periodic clean outs of my in-box to make room. Gmail is not the problem.

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Do you have the Gmail account on both machines ?

If yes, you could store these folders on the Gmail account and get them synced by Gmail...

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I would seriously caution AGAINST storing work mail in a personal Gmail account. The work IT security folks would have a conniption.

Unfortunately, the concept of being "on my computer" precludes the shared concept. The only way you could do it would be to set up a symbolic link in the file system that links the location of your identity for Outlook to a cloud storage location, but I would also ensure the IT folks are OK with that location for work-related data.

Wait, I re-read the OP. So, you DON'T have your work email account linked on the home computer but you want to read the archived mail there? Honestly, I work in PC support for a large corporation, if we were to get a ticket like this we would get a good 10 minutes of amusement out of reading it before someone called to explain, nicely, that it's not going to happen. Yes, we can be real jerks but we try not to do it when communicating to the user, then we cover it by saying it's IT policy not to support that particular setup (and in this case it IS).

6. Salmonchaser thread starter macrumors newbie

No, the setup is this:

1) I have multiple machines running Mac Mail. One at work, one at home.
    2) I have 2 email accounts, a Gmail (no issues there), and an MS-Exchange. Mac Mail on BOTH computers access both email accounts.
    3) Due to space limitations on the MS-Exchange account, we have to periodically clear space on our in-boxes, I don't want simply dump to email in the trash, so I move emails from the Exchange account inbox (and sent mail) to local folders "On My Mac" on the machine at work, which frees space in the Exchange account, but keeps the emails searchable and accessible by Mac Mail on that machine.
    4) I perform the email movement to local folders on the machine at work, however, I occasionally need to access those locally saved emails on the work machine when I'm working at on the home machine.
    5) I want to mirror those "On My Mac" folders on both machine.

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I think a different, synced email account for the folders is the only easy way to achieve this. Whether or not it's OK with your company is for you to find out.