Syncing one ipod or ipad with multiple macs

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Sackvillenb, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Sackvillenb macrumors 6502a

Sackvillenb

Ok, so I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find any threads about it...

I'm quite experienced with macs, but I am new to ipods and the ipad. I have an imac, and macbook pro, an old ipod nano, and an ipad 1.

I currently sync the ipod and ipad to my imac, which has all my media (everything from music to documents to comic books). I do not run itunes on the MBP at all. Now, I know I can transfer this media to the MBP easily enough (e.g. copying the files), but how will the syncing itself work?

As far as I know, the ipod will get wiped whenever I switch between computers. That's a pain in the butt, but I can live with that. My main concern is the ipad... since it handles much more than just music.

I sync my documents to the ipad using itunes in the imac. But, now my imac is away being repaired... I have documents on an external HDD that I would like to transfer to the ipad... but can I do this with the MBP without wiping my ipad clean? If I try and sync it with the MBP, will it not erase my music and files?

And more importantly, if I sync the ipad with the MBP, will it erase my apps and everything? Is there anyway to link 2 instances of itunes together? By using my apple ID perhaps? Or can I simply not use my MBP with my ipad unless I am willing to accept that the ipad will get wiped?? Is the ipad really tied down to a single computer? I would find this odd... since many people have multiple computers...

You know, this whole syncing thing is probably what annoys me the most about apple. It shouldn't be so complicated... What do people do when their main computer dies, or gets replaced? Not counting the migration assistant, do we have to manually migrate all the itunes content to the new computer?

Anyway, any suggestions anybody has for how I can use my ipad with my Macbook would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!!! :)

2. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

3. Sackvillenb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sackvillenb

Well thanks, those links are very useful as far as library migrations go... good to know...

But does that mean I cannot use my ipad with my MBP without migrating my entire library?

For example, let's say I just want to plug my ipad into the MBP to sync some files, like pdf's or comic book files... I can't do that without using the same original imac library (migrated or not)? Are there any good apps that allow for general file transferring to and from an ipad? I do have goodreader, I know it has some similar functions... but I don't think I could use that to move a file into and out of any app? i.e. copy a comic book file from an external hard drive into my comic book reader app for example?

Thanks to everyone for their assistance, it's greatly appreciated!

4. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

You can open files loaded into Goodreader into other apps. Once you have the file loaded into Goodreader, go to Manage Files, select the file you want and there will be an option for Open In, then choose which app you want.

5. Sackvillenb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sackvillenb

ok...

I have used that function a bit, but I believe you can only use it with specific other apps (as opposed to all the apps you have installed, assuming the app can open the type of file in question).

So I have a related semi-hypothetical question then, for you HengenJL and anybody else reading: If I always sync my ipad to my imac, but my imac uses an external hdd for most media to be synced... let's say my imac dies. It's internal hard drive is fried. Gone. What am I supposed to do with my ipad?

I can't sync it to another computer, e.g. my macbook, without losing the data on the ipad, correct?

That's what I don't understand about this issue. It seems that if the main computer that the ipad is normally "tethered" to dies... then you're basically screwed in terms of using your ipad (at least if you want to tranfer or sync file to and from it)... But this seems ridiculous, it doesn't make any sense... So am I missing something here? Or is this really the way it is? And if so... how can this problem be avoided or mitigated? :confused:

Thanks to everyone as always!

6. GoSUV macrumors member

That's when Time Machine/Time Capsule comes in.