Syncing only jpgs to iTunes

Discussion in 'iPad' started by clarkie604, Jul 20, 2010.

1. clarkie604 macrumors member

In my picture folders I have raw files and jpg files created from the edited (i.e., white balance, croped, etc.) raw files. iTunes does great at syncing the folders I've told it to sync - but, it copies both the jpg and raw files. So, for example, when I run a slideshow on my iPad I see both the unedited RAW files and the often almost identical jpgs.

Is there any way to get iTunes to only sync jpgs?

2. wyneken macrumors regular

I don't have a global answer to this, but I sync my iPad only with one particular folder into which I drop selected photos -- not with my entire photo collection. This obviously requires a bit more work and selectivity (basically it involves manually dragging or "saving as..." photos into the sync folder) but the result is that I've only got the images I really want on the iPad.

3. Sinfire macrumors regular

I usually keep my Raws, web pictures, and iPad pictures in different folders.

The raw files are the original, straight from the camera, as well as any that have been adjusted from Lightroom or Adobe Camara Raw.

The Web pictures folder are jpg copies of my finished pictures that have been converted to 72 dpi and image resized to 500 pixels along the logest side. I use the pictures in this directory to upload to facebook, flickr, or any other web site.

The iPad folder, I convert he processed raw file to jpg and save the full image without any adjustments. This is the folder that I sync with iTunes and my iPad.

I also keep the filenames and folder structures between all 3 directories consistent so that I know where to find the file that I need.

4. clarkie604 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your thoughts.

My problem is that I have too many pictures that I want on my device to feasibly copy them all to a separate iPad folder. Plus, I'm too lazy to keep up a parallel file structure - it's much more convenient to save in the same folder as the raw, from both a workflow and search perspective.

Photography is just a hobby and I want a easy solution to use the iPad as a picture frame to show family pictures when it's not otherwise being used. It would be nice to not have to add any additional steps to my workflow.

5. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

If you are using iPhoto on a Mac just make a Smart Album for your jpgs and only upload it to your iPad. It will take less than a minute to make a Smart Album and almost instantly will have only the jpgs in it. also it won't take up any more space on your Mac and will automatically add them as you import to iPhoto, ready to sync next time you plug in your iPad. Using Smart Albums and Keywords makes it so easy to get just the photos you want on iPhones, iPods and iPads. There is no reason to upload everything just to get the best photos, unless you want them all, to sync.

Attached Files:

6. clarkie604 thread starter macrumors member

I guess that gives me another reason to get an iMac. If only I could convince my wife.

7. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

In iPhoto you can pick all kinds of albums or events to sync. I have one album (reference art, for work) syncing, and "Last 6 months". The latter of these does exactly what it says on the tin, and syncs 6 months' worth of pictures from iPhoto. So each time I plug the iPad in, it adds a few more recent pictures and removes a few of the oldest, rather than carrying around a vast library of pictures.

8. Dark Goob macrumors regular

Dark Goob

What if you don't use the garbage that is iPhoto?

How the hell do you keep RAWs out of your iPhone JUST using iTunes WITHOUT moving the RAWs into a separate folder? And no I'm not about to dump all my crap into iPhoto just because of this, since it will start creating all its ridiculous thumbnail files and various version files of my pictures and store them in its own preposterous directory structure that makes me want to carve my brain out with a rusty spoon.

I tried making a so-called "smart folder" in the Finder and syncing that, TO NO AVAIL. How's that for "smart"? LOL!

-=DG=-