Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fstevens

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
I have several contact groups and calendars in Lion Address Book and iCal on my Mac. I don't want or need all the contact groups or calendars on my iPhone and iPad. When syncing the iPad and iPhone via iTunes, you can easily select which contact groups and calendars you want to sync. How is this accomplished with iCloud?

Thanks,

Faye

KlytusLord

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2011
At least for now, this is not possible.

I too am hoping we will be able to select which groups to sync on a per-device basis, since some of my devices are for personal use only, and I don't want all of my work stuff on those.

I don't believe MobileMe had this option either, but I hope iCloud will get it at some stage.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Regarding Calendars you can go into the calendar App and select Calendars Button to Select/deselect which calendars to display. This is just like the Calendar App on the Mac. Regarding Contacts I believe you would need a separate Account for Business Contacts. Would be nice if it worked like Calendars where you could even share a contact file.

fstevens

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
It isn't a big deal for my situation to have all my calendars everywhere, more just annoying to see a calendar on my i devices that I have no use for there (a calendar I set up to remind me to do some maintenance items on my iMac). But I use Appigo's ToDo app on my iPhone, and it doesn't sync with iCloud yet so I'll just continue to sync calendars via iTunes and tasks with the Appigo sync utility.

I have found some other goofiness if I set Contacts up in iCloud, so even if I didn't mind having all contacts on my iPhone and iPad, I'm not going to sync contacts in iCloud until/unless those things are fixed. One is just annoying - contacts in iCloud doesn't properly sort all the contact names. Some are sorted by last name, as I want, but some random ones are sorted by first name. The deal-breaker for me is that, when I set up my iMac to sync contacts with iCloud, I could no longer edit distribution lists on the iMac to pick which email address to use for a particular contact.

Seems like iCloud is a little "beta". Hopefully it will get better.

Faye

paulcone

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2008
At least for now, this is not possible.

I too am hoping we will be able to select which groups to sync on a per-device basis, since some of my devices are for personal use only, and I don't want all of my work stuff on those.

I don't believe MobileMe had this option either, but I hope iCloud will get it at some stage.

Actually, MobileMe DID have this option -- I know because I used it. I have hundreds of contacts going back years, and I don't want all of those on my iPhone (it's too many to search through), and so those were in no group at all, and then in iTunes you could control which groups of contacts synced. That there no longer is an option for this is one of iCloud's huge steps back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.