Syncing or Networking my MacBook and iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zachlegomaniac, Feb 18, 2011.

1. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

I have an aluminum MB w/ 280 gb hdd, and a refurb iMac 1 tb hdd shipping soon. What is the best way to network and/or sync the computers? They both serve as office and personal computers at the moment, but the iMac will be the computer I use primarily for all of my work. Although, the MacBook will come out into the field with me for use at times as well.

I assume I should sync my iPhone to the MacBook I have always used to sync it to, correct?

I know these may be rudimentary questions, but I've never operated two machines at home.

I should mention I back up each machine to two separate LaCie external hard drives.

Thank you in advance for your insights.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Enable file sharing from System Preferences and you can access iMac's files with MacBook and vice versa. DropBox is also a handy app for syncing files

3. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

4. zachlegomaniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

Any tips on expanding DropBox size from 2 gb without having to shell out lots of money? I posted a link on my facebook and twitter accounts, but no one jumped on to bump me up an extra 2 per new user. Maybe that's the only way.

Thank you,

Zach

5. Big Bad D macrumors regular

Try SugarSync. It has more folder synchronisation options than DropBox and also comes with 5GB free.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer