Syncing "Pictures" with iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gmac190, Jan 8, 2014.

1. gmac190 macrumors newbie

Hello from a :apple: newbie

I would like to import all my photos from my DSLR to the Pictures folder in Finder.

Is there a way that once I put the photos into "Pictures", iPhoto would automatically be updated either straight away or the next time I open iPhoto (without having the need to manually import to iPhoto)

I have read about automating files and folders but don't know enough about it to try it so if someone has a solution an idiots guide would really be appreciated

Thanks folks

Gmac (iMac desktop)

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Find /Applications/Image Capture.app and use that.

3. gmac190 thread starter macrumors newbie

cheers satcomer

I just gave that a try and it's better but not quite what I am after. I should have said that once the photos are in pictures and then photshopped it would be ideal if (like Picassa did) it automatically spoke to iPhoto and updated all thew photos from Pictures.

Hope that makes sense.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

So you are looking for the following workflow:

Off load photo's to a folder>>Edit them in say photoshop>>then when ready, fire up iPhoto>>iPhoto looks at the folder with the photo's in it and says, oh we have new photos and loads them into iPhoto.

Sound about right?

What about uploading into iPhoto from the get go and then using the contextual menu to edit in external application. Have the external application pointing to photoshop. That way all the photos are already loaded into iPhoto and you can still have the option to edit those you want to?

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

If you always use Photoshop to edit, you can set iPhoto to use it in iPhoto Preferences>General.

6. gmac190 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes that sound logical but how would I get iPhoto to recognise the folder automatically?

7. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

It's a little bit off-topic but it's possible that you might want to think about investing into Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. You can do a lot of the work (particularly if you are working with RAW files) that you do in Adobe Camera Raw/Photoshop and it plays very nicely with Photoshop when you need it. It's an extra expense but have a go with the trial version. iPhoto was nice when I started out but it is a bit basic if you are taking this stuff seriously.

Fundamentally, iPhoto needs pictures to be imported into its Library, which is basically a structure of folders that looks like a single file in the Finder.

8. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I'm not doubting your sincerity but it seems to me you must be mistaken when you say that "once the photos are in pictures and then photshopped it would be ideal if (like Picassa did) it automatically spoke to iPhoto and updated all the photos from Pictures. "

There is no way that Picasa can know when you have finished photoshopping and only then pull them in ! What it will do is index them anyway like it indexes every photo, so that as and when photoshopped they are already there and any new ones created by Photoshop are there.

You started off saying you wanted them immediately pulled into iPhoto, which you can easily do as a config option, you can set iPhoto up to to import as soon as you plug your camera in. You'll have to click on import but I can't imagine that's a real imposition, And it will also give you the option of deleting the files off the SD card afterwards, which i feel is a very bad idea, as you want to be assured your pics are at the very least backed up on time machine before you delete them.

9. gmac190 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies Kelmon and Tumbleweed, some food for thought in your suggestions.

I'll have a look at Lightroom and see how it suits.

Appreciate everyones help,

thanks

gmac