syncing ratings between AAC and Apple Lossless iTunes libraries using Apple Script

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nick_harambee, Oct 5, 2007.

1. nick_harambee macrumors regular

hi

i have two iTunes libraries, one for Apple Lossless files for playing around the house and one for AAC files for my Ipod. I do most of the rating of songs on the iPod and would like to be able to sync the ratings of the AAC library with the Apple Lossless Library each time i open either Library, i.e. the library being opened will update to the ratings of the other library. I have been led to believe that using Apple Script is the only way to do this, but have no idea how to procede. i wonder if someone could give me a pointer in the right direction?

thanks

nick

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I used to use two libraries, much as you do now.

But with this series of Applescripts from Doug's Applescripts for iTunes, you can use just the one Lossless library and still sync everything with AAC on your iPod.

Might just save you the time and effort of updating two different libraries.

4. nick_harambee thread starter macrumors regular

two problems with the lossless to AAC workflow method:

(i) it doesn't work with latest version of iTunes and Ipod Classic
    (ii) i have quite large artwork embedded in the Lossless files and want small artwork embedded in the iPod files. Embedding artwork is quite a time consuming process, and if there is a problem with the iPod and i need to restore it, i don't want to have to re-embed all the artwork, so having a local copy of the AAC files makes sense