syncing stuff outside of apple's ecosystem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cutcopypaste, Jun 2, 2011.

1. cutcopypaste macrumors regular

So I just got an iphone, and now I'm having to figure out the best way to manage my ****.. I thought lifehacker would have a guide for more technologically inclined dudes like myself, but i'm not finding one..

I'm a gmail user.. and google calendar + chrome.

I'm interested in.. getting my bookmarks over from chrome to iphone. I use xmarks as well if that will help.

Also my contacts.. I have a lot of gmail contacts with just emails. I set the phone to sync with my google contacts.. should I be going in and adding phone numbers to those contacts in gmail?

+does anyone know of a good getting a brand new iphone being awesome guide?

thx!

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Sync iCal and Address Book with the google daemon and then everything will sync together. I'm assuming your on a Mac.

3. cutcopypaste thread starter macrumors regular

I actually have a mac laptop and a pc desktop.. the pc is where all my media (music and podcasts) are, so it's what I've been using for now.

I found a guide to connecting the iphone to multiple computers though and I might do that up.

I did sync the calendar and gmail to my iphone.. but my contacts are not ver well sorted or ID'd in gmail so now I just have a whole bunch of stuff. If I make changes to contacts on the iphone will it affect my gmail contacts or vice versa? trying to figure the best way to get everyone sorted with phone numbers etc.. it would probably be easier to do on a computer than the phone.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Hmm, I'm not really familiar how to handle this on a PC. Regarding contacts, I believe the only time changes occur on your iPhone is if you sync again manually (i.e. it doesn't auto-sync Gmail contact changes).

I bit the bullet initially when getting my iPhone and entered my 'relevant' Blackberry contacts into OS X Address Book, I eventually cleaned up my Gmail contacts as well (which took a good couple of days). I know it sounds like a pain, but I would say get started on cleaning up your Gmail contacts and start taking those slightly seriously regarding really needing your contact info to be correct. You'll find that merging and deleting Gmail contacts right away can whittle down the number quickly.