Syncing the touch on a PC and MAC

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rodeman, Jan 14, 2009.

1. rodeman macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. My father is looking at an iPod Touch and wanted to know about syncing between a MAC and PC. If he sync with his PC first, will it import his calendar and the if he syncs with the MAC, will it transfer the calendar to the Mac?

Can he go back and forth between the two and will that keep both calendars synced or will it overwrite one of the two all the time? I don't have a touch and I'm not familiar with how they work, so I thought I'd throw it out to the experts out there.

Thanks for the help.
    John

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Unless your dad has Mobile Me it won't sync the calendars with the computer - any modifications made to the calendar on the iPod will not take effect on the calendars on either the PC or Mac. In other words, the computers have control over the iPod's calendar, but the iPod usually cannot control the computers' calendars.

3. rodeman thread starter macrumors newbie

Will Mobile Me work on a PC as well as a mac? I'm not familiar with that product. If it doesn't work on a PC is there a PC version of that program that I should let him know about?

Thanks for the response.
    John

4. jampat macrumors 6502a

You should know that mobile me is ~$100/yr. That's more than I would pay to sync calendars, but to each his own.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

So it is made for people in your dad's situation, but as the poster above said, it does cost $100/year.

6. jsgreen macrumors 6502

A little more about Syncing between Mac & PC:

I have a PC for work anf a Mac at home. You can sync (in my case the iPhone, but should be the same for the Touch) with both Mac and PC, however you can't sync the same applications (unless you use MobileMe, as earlier posts suggested).

My setup:

iPhone syncs contacts with the PC
    iPhone syncs my applications, media (music, podcasts, videos) with the Mac

Calendar is left to over the air sync with both MobileMe (for iCal) and Microsoft Exchange (for work). This setup seems to work great for me.

7. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Mobile Me works with a PC but is a paid service run by Apple. It "pushes" e-mails to iPhones and iPod touches and syncs calendars with them.

8. dmor1284 macrumors newbie

Switching an iPod Touch from PC to Mac

Ok, similar issue as this thread. I have a first generation iPod, 32 MB, 2.1 firmware. I originally set this Touch up with iTunes on a PC, and I recently purchased a iMac 24 computer. I would like to sync the Touch with the iMac, but I am afraid of losing my manually entered contacts information. I have about 95 contacts I manually entered into the Touch and I don't want to lose them. Also, if I do sync with the iMac, will my Touch contacts appear in my iMac Address Book? I can recreate my music, photo, and video files in the iMac, but nervous minds want to know about the contacts :)

Dick from frozen northern Illinois !

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

When I moved an iPhone from one PC to another one, iTunes offered to "merge" the contact info, I said "yes," and all the contacts on the iPhone were copied to the new PC's address book. I'd assume this will work the same for PC to Mac or Mac to PC switching.