Syncing to a new computer

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JCA90, Nov 21, 2010.

1. JCA90 macrumors member

Hello everyone, I just have a quick question about syncing to a new computer. I know it'll ask me to erase everything on it when i try to sync, but can i copy the backup of the iPhone from my old computer and put it on my new computer will it be able to sync with no problem? I already put the music, and was able to transfer purchases off, I just want to know this so I don't loose texts, and contacts. So yea, that's it, thanks in advance for the reply.

2. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I think you could move the old backups from the old computer to the new one and iTunes will read it no problem. But no harm having a backup. For contacts, just sync with iTunes and that will sync it with Address book and all you gotta do it move the contacts from there to the new computer.

As for sms messages, you can backup that too. Jailbreak your iPhone and install iPhone Explorer on your mac. Open it up and navigate to var/root/Library/SMS to find a sms.db file. That's the file you want to backup.

3. Anapplecsr macrumors newbie

Syncing with a new computer will not affect contacts/calendars/settings/photos/ect. Just sync your data and create a new backup on new pc...