syncing to a new mac

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mike789, Jun 6, 2008.

1. mike789 macrumors member

hi, I just ordered my first mac tuesday and it should be coming next week. I currently connect my ipod touch to a PC and have the January software update. My question is, when I connect it to my mac for the first time (it will erase everything on my ipod i think?) will it get rid of the January software update too? Sorry if this question has been asked already, i couldn't find it.

2. scr1968 macrumors regular

The update will be fine...and even if it isn't...couldn't you just re-apply the update?

SCR

3. mike789 thread starter macrumors member

maybe but i dont know how to re-apply it without paying 20 bucks lol

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

your ipod won't be erased when you sync it again unless you tell it to. IF you do lose your update email itunes support about it, or you could try going to the menu and pressing Store >> Check for Purchases...

5. mike789 thread starter macrumors member

does anyone know how to reapply the update if it gets deleted when i transfer it over to my mac? it isn't under purchased items...or does anyone know if it won't get deleted and i have nothing to worry about?

thanks

6. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

This is a good question. I usually reformat Windows iPods when switching them to a Mac. That would require a restore, and I don't know how it would know if you had the update.

You might want to talk to someone at an Apple Store if you are close enough. I would assume you could get Apple to let you download load it again, but I am not sure...

Don't forget to deauthorize your old Windows Computer if you aren't going to listen to your music on it any more. You can only have five computers authorized per iTunes account...

7. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Mike789, listen up.

When you bought the January Software Upgrade on your PC a file was downloaded to this location:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\Mobile Applications\

It's an unlock script, and it is the basis of re-installing the January Software Upgrade onto your licensed iPod.
    iTunes looks for this file when you sync your device.

When your Mac arrives you should make a copy of this .ipa file found in the above location and move it to:

~/Library/iTunes/Mobile Applications/

on your new Mac.

This ensures in the event of a restore being needed of your device, if something was to go wrong, restoring from your Mac/PC would
    re-install the update after the restore - without hassle.

In order to manually manage your music on your iPod touch you will have to
    let iTunes re-format it in order to install the Mac HFS file system onto it, in order for it to operate.

R-Fly