Syncing to itunes.. WITHOUT usb

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by anon1290, Jan 5, 2012.

1. anon1290 macrumors newbie

My macbook pro for whatever reason has faulty USB ports (one doesn't work, one works half the time). It works with a mouse after repeated insertion, and with my old ipod it used to take a few tries to connect, but eventually would.

With my new 4s though, it charges but won't show up anywhere on my macbook for syncing and downloading no matter how many times I retry.

This is of course a pain in the butt, as I bought the phone with 64 GB to double as a new ipod, which is hard to use when I can't sync any of my itunes to it.

I do have access to other computers with itunes, and have tried connecting through sharing to no avail. Also tried looking into a 3rd server like icloud to be the go between the computers but couldn't find anything.

The itunes provided wireless syncing is obviously not an option because it requires being synced physically through the USB to start with

Please help. I've tried everything I can think of.

Thanks.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Have you tried getting your MacBook Pro fixed?

Here's what you could do but you'll need another MacBook Pro identical to yours.
    Target disk mode boot from the working MacBook Pro to your MacBook Pro. USB sync and enable WiFi sync. You'll need a Firewire 800 cable.

3. anon1290 thread starter macrumors newbie

No. Quite honestly, I'd rather not have to deal with cleaning my computer of personal information, shipping it in, and waiting while it's away. I use my computer a lot on a daily basis. Also, if I could just figure out a way to get this going, it'd probably save me a lot of money.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I added a possible solution to my previous post. One way or the other you need a working USB port on the iTunes computer.

OR sync your music to iCloud Match. But have the bandwidth ready...

5. anon1290 thread starter macrumors newbie

Are there any other options? ala credible programs that can rip shared files?

Thank you for your time/responses.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Rip shared files? Not sure what you mean?

7. anon1290, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

anon1290 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well my laptop is connected to my home computer (mac). Instead of redownloading every song I have onto my home computer which is working perfectly, I tried just putting my itunes on share, connecting it to that computer, and syncing my iphone through there, but that doesn't work as shared itunes libraries aren't available to be downloaded.

EDIT:
    Would drop box work?

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Just copy the music on your MacBook to your iMac via Ethernet, SD, WiFi...

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

10. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

For music, use iTunes Match, then it's available from all devices.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

blueroom has given you plenty of reasonable solutions.
    Copy your music and media to the computer that works or get the USB ports fixed since you use the computer that much it would be worth repairing it.
    Try bringing it to a computer repair place and maybe they can do it on the spot for you without having to ship it out and wait a long time to get it back.